Help needed again lol.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone again should be the last time I ask for help as this is the last electrical I item that I need to do.

Well anyhow I have bought a new light fitting but seem a bit puzzled on this one where to insert the wires. Trouble is I can not afford to stick the wire in to the wrong hole as the fitting is one of if not the most stupid designs I have ever seen for anything.

Its a fitting from B+Q where the wires go they decided it would be a great idea to instead of use screws to use a clasp device. I have already inserted wires in to one only to be greeted with the fitting working perfect but the rest of the lights on the loop not working.

While trying everything and looking on the net to get the wires out intact I snapped it meaning I had to get another piece sent out.

Well here is a photo of the old fitting still wired up and working.

2n1ba69.jpg

Wire (A) is going to the fitting on its own it also has another piece of copper coming out of the wire which did have a piece of sheath on it but you could not make out the color and as it did not connect to anything I though best to cover it and the only insulation tape I had was green.

Example (B) has two wires twisted together and going in to the second connection on the fitting.

Their is no markings at all on this fitting apart from the icon to indicate it is a double insulated fitting.

Right now on to the new fitting.

24ybi2g.jpg

This new fitting also has no markings to say what goes where but the side where you can see the paper with L that is the Live side.

In the fitting manual for this item it says.

''The Live wire should go to the central connector and the neutral wire should go to the side connector''

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Edit the new fitting is a class 2 double insulated.

Sponsored Links
your old fitting looks like it has 2 neutrals(blacks) and 1 switched live(red).
New fitting is it a screw lamp(ES) centre pin is switched live, outer screw(lamp thread) is neutral connection.
Usually easy to see which terminal is centre pin or you could do a continuity test.

Earth wire (not required on double insulated fittings) put into a connector.

Well we can assume again that the blacks are neutral loop.
There looks to be something else connected in your ridiculously oversized picture, other than the red in forefront of the photo?

All I can see is two blacks for the neutral loop, and a singles red for the switched live along with a CPC (earth) wire, which needs to be connected to your new fitting unless it displays the double insulated symbol of a square within a square on it somewhere.

Also your wires look pretty well cooked. You should cut of the first few inches before you reterminate into your new fitting.

Sponsored Links
If I understand right the taped (green/yellow) conductor is not a CPC, but something that has dropped of somewhere and the core colour cannot be IDed by the OP.
I wonder if it was connected to the red core fitted or whether it has broken from the red lug seen on photo?

your old fitting looks like it has 2 neutrals(blacks) and 1 switched live(red).
New fitting is it a screw lamp(ES) centre pin is switched live, outer screw(lamp thread) is neutral connection.
Usually easy to see which terminal is centre pin or you could do a continuity test.

Earth wire (not required on double insulated fittings) put into a connector.

Yes mate it is an ES fitting. Was hoping not to have to purchase a continuity tester as this is the last electrical item to be fitted everything else was just sockets pretty straight forward also I have done lights before so was hoping this would be a simple job too.

So would you stick both neutral wires individually in to the Neutral holes? And obviously the Live in to the Live?

Well we can assume again that the blacks are neutral loop.
There looks to be something else connected in your ridiculously oversized picture, other than the red in forefront of the photo?

Yeah soz about that big pictures I used TinyPic and their resize tool is rubbish. Which picture do you mean the old or new fitting?

All I can see is two blacks for the neutral loop, and a singles red for the switched live along with a CPC (earth) wire, which needs to be connected to your new fitting unless it displays the double insulated symbol of a square within a square on it somewhere.

Also your wires look pretty well cooked. You should cut of the first few inches before you reterminate into your new fitting.

Yeah mate its a class 2 double insulated fitting I already have some terminal blocks to put the wire in when done. Cheers also fort the advice to cut the wires.

Just a side note, when performing electrical work, one of the first items, bought, hired, borrowed,stollen, should be approved meters to test with. These are very valuable tools, not only to save time and avoid confusion but also to prevent electrocution!

Just a side note, when performing electrical work, one of the first items, bought, hired, borrowedstollen, should be approved meters to test with. These are very valuable tools, not only to save time and avoid confusion but also to prevent electrocution!

Yup I know that now in the new year I am going to invest in equipment.

Do you mean the item in the far back? If you do thats just a broken screw socket with the screw still half way in.
Yes, so more about the broken conductor with green/yellow tape.

It was like that when I took it off the other day. It was not connected to anything but had sheath over it but you can not make out the color. I thought it was best to wrap it up in insulation tape. When I get the new one up I will shorten it a little and use a chock block.

Would it be possible to get a photo of the existing light taken from a bit further away and more in focus?

So in summary
You have 2 black neutrals, they go to neutral side of new fitting.
You have a switch live, to live side of new fitting.
The other core I would expect to be a CPC/earth as it is now bare as sleeve has fallen off. This should ideally be resleeved green/yellow and terminated into a connector and left within the enclosure safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back