Help Needed . CH Poterrton issue!??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have a problem with my CH that started about a week ago that drives me nuts. The boiler is a Potterton Suprima 60 (7 years old) with the newer 5111603 PCB (Replaced 2.5 years ago). Now here are the symtoms
Boiler fires up using the time but the radiators are not heating up. As soon I manually switch off the boiler then the radiators start heating up. Next to the hot water tank I can see the two Valves (Myson MPE222) that are switching on (light on) depending which I select i.e HW or CH. When is on CH only then the boiler stops working giving me a flashing Green which I believe it means "Boiler Temperature Control Satisfied".
My initial reaction was to go towards the PCB as it has been reported by a lot of people been problematic. However after careful checks on the PCB I found no problem with it (my electronic engineering competence is extremely good as I have problem education and training in the field). I have also checked all the sensors and cabling in case there was a bad connection.
Tonight I started looking it again trying to fire it up as we had no hot water. I started looking at the valves as everything else was not making much sense. I then realize that if I have through the timer only the hot water on then the system is working fine. Also moving the CH valve to manual makes the radiators hot.
That tells me that the CH valve is not working as it should but it doesn't explain (to me!!!) why the radiators are getting hot after I switch off the timer.
Can the experts of the forum advice on what are the possible problems here ? I do not want for call for repair until I have isolated the problem to some areas as it will end up been very costly approach. If the most likely thing is the valve then I will ask the repairer to first replace that and then take any other action is needed. If however is the case of a faulty PCB then I will go back to Potterton and ask them for a free repair as the PCB was replaced 2.5 years ago.
Thanks in advance

Theo

Sponsored Links
Ah the lovely Potterton PCB's, made of chocolate I believe.

You may want to check your timer, Is it digital? check its giving out power on the correct channel when you call for heat.

Ah the lovely Potterton PCB's, made of chocolate I believe.

You may want to check your timer, Is it digital? check its giving out power on the correct channel when you call for heat.

Timer is a digital one and the light on the valve switch on when there is request for heat but I haven't checked with a multimeter what is actually sending.

Sponsored Links
sounds to me like a sticky valve mate

sticking on after CH only has been selected, and getting stuck powering over from Mid Position (if its a three port valve)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back