Help needed insulating a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'll try and describe my problem the best I can, its a bit of a weird one. A few years ago I had my house re-wired and in order for the kitchen to be done we had to remove the ceiling to gain access. Its part of a single floor extension so removing the ceiling was cheaper than removing the felt roof.

When the new ceiling was been fitted I told the builders that I was fitting down lighters and asked them when fitting the fibre glass insulation could they leave spaces where the down lights would be fitted to prevent a risk of fire. However in their great wisdom they decided that rather than leave spaces they would just not insulate at all between these joists. It has now left virtually a 3rd of my kitchen roof without insulation!!! Its like insulate between 2 joists then skip 1 then insulate between another 2 then skip another one, so on so forth!!!

Can anyone give me any advice as to how I could possibly insulate these areas. The only access I have is though the 60mm holes where the down lights are fitted. The ceiling as approx 3m wide with 2 downlights spaced a metre apart. I know theres a severe draught coming in here as you can feel the wind blowing down the holes when the lights are removed.

I had thought about fitting a long tube to a can of expanding foam and then spraying it up. I have a mini IR camera which I can use to see what i,m doing which will help alot.

If anyone has any better ideas i'd love to hear them.

Thanks
Davy

Sponsored Links
Dont insulate around downlighters. The lamps will blow more often, and the insulation might catch fire.

The problem with downlights in insulated ceilings is that there is no way to safely insulate around them and thus comply with all the building regs and the MI's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back