Help needed - kitchen renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a house with a large (long) lounge/diner and small closed off kitchen.

We would like to knock down the wall to the kitchen to create a large kitchen diner with breakfast bar and build a wall to close off the lounge with large folding doors.

How difficult is this and how much would it cost? We are thinking of buying an ikea kitchen and fitting it ourselves with a little help from a builder friend.

I don't know if the wall is a supporting wall but let's assume it is and it also has a radiator on the wall which would need to be moved

Thanks in advance
Laura

Sponsored Links
If the wall you are knocking down is load baring (has another brick wall directly above) you will have to install an RSJ steel. The RSJ will probably require a structural engineer so that will cost £100 min plus VAT. Thats step 1.
Plus plumber to relocate radiator plus kitchen suite and decoration your looking at £2,500 min. Unless you are a builder yourself :) then you can install RSJ and kitchen yourself cutting cost immensely.

My partner was thinking £20k so that sounds much more doable!!

Thank you for your response it's really helpful.

Sponsored Links
Structural engineer, drawings and planning fees: £500 (I just got this done recently and this is a good price)
RSJ: £100 ish depending on size
Builder to knock down wall and make good: £900 (ish) depends on what area you are.
Plumber: £150 - £200 depending on how far you want it removed
Kitchen: £2000+ (again depend on spec) I fitted my own ikea kitchen in my last flat which had a big kitchen ( 6m x 8m) and it was about £3000 all in.

I would say £4000 roughly all in. Depending how the spec of the kitchen and the size also!

I just got an RSJ (3 meters long) put in between my dining room and lounge and my council insisted that i put mains powered smoke alarms. Which cost an extra £350 as it needed to be certified. Have a contingency fund for things like that :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back