Help needed light not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Problem with downstairs light not working, has worked for years previously just stopped working one day , have no live feed to switch or light connections so I'm guessing that we must have a junction box somewhere & radial wiring so a loose connection in a junction box? I have checked the continuity from the red out wire to the lamp and it's OK. 3 wires run into the light red, black & earth. I have traced the switch 2 black neutral wires with a toner 1 goes to the CH thermostat the other goes in the same direction but stops short of the thermostat, when the 2 black wires are separated the thermostat stops working. How do I locate the junction box if there is one to minimise the work to rectify if behind plaster wall or ceiling, are wire detectors any good? Thanks appreciate any help I'm stumped. Photo 1 of light switch. Photo 2 of kitchen light switch in the next room.
20190124_125644#1.jpg
20190124_125237.jpg
20190129_091405.jpg

Sponsored Links
Kitchen light switch (second picture) is wired wrong.

I don't think you have any junction boxes, each switch acts as the junction box.

The kitchen light has been like that since we moved in 14 years ago as far as I know, can you tell me what's wrong with it, do you think it has a bearing on the light not working? I get your point about the switches but where is the break in the feed to the switch? I have checked all the downstairs rooms for any loose wires.

Last edited:
Re check all the switchs. As the permanent line runs from switch to switch its the most obvious place for a loose connection / broken conductor . Make sure all terminal screws are tight.

Sponsored Links
I should have said, the kitchen switch MAY be wired wrong.

It looks like all three terminals on the switch have wires in them.

1) Is the kitchen light controlled by two way switching - ie is there two or more switches to control the kitchen light?

2) If NO to above, does flicking the kitchen switch over make the other room light come on or get power?

1) Kitchen only has one switch
2) Position of kitchen light has no effect on other light, not tested for power, will have a look tomorrow.
Thanks for helping.

If the kitchen light only has one switch, only two terminals on the switch should be used, it looks like three on your picture.

So maybe this is related to your problem, maybe it isn't.

It's worth a try, should I connect the 3 bottom wires into L1

Yes it has a bar of metal rod into the earth block and to a brass terminal riveted to the backbox. Not seen this type before.

Not a fan of the guess and check method, but I would expect the wiring to be as you have described.

I assume there is just one light in the kitchen?

Assuming the two wires at the bottom are feeds, and the top wire is the kitchen light, then that bottom one wire is never going to become live, so that bottom one wire may well be the feed to the light switch that has no power.

In other words, a one way switch as you should have in your kitchen should consist of all the 'permanent lives' in one end of the switch, the 'live to the light' in the other end of the switch.

A one way switch typically uses terminals COM and L1. Different makers use different markings though.

Before you disconnect anything, ensure the power is completely off and make good notes of how it is currently connected.

Last edited:
You stated in your original post that the downstairs light has worked fine for years ,and " suddenly " stopped working. Did it stop working as a result of you changing the position of wires in any switches ,or did it just stop working for no apparent reason ? If all was working fine with the kitchen switch wired as it is in your pic , there is not much point in moving any of the conductors positions , as your problem lies elsewhere.

Sparkright apt name as you were 'wright' spot on, light now working thanks for your help, I was worried I would have to lift the floor boards or plaster so its a big relief. Think some one has changed a broken switch and replaced it with a 2 way switch and wired up wrong due to extra connector, the house was rented for a while so I'm guessing it happened then so I never connected the 2 events, so to me it seemed to stop working suddenly. Big thanks again all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back