Help Needed - Major problem joining roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are a mid-terrace house and the neighbouring houses on either side also have old imperial size Marley Moderns.

I have removed the old imperial size moderns from our roof and replaced with new Moderns which are metric size.

However, when laying a row of tiles (test run), I have run into a major problem. The final tile which interlocks with my neighbours does not fit.

The new tile is too large to fit in the gap (3).

As shown in the pic, there is a approximately a 21 cm gap from the edge of one tile to the neighbours (2).

I desperately need to get the roof covered, what do I need to do to overcome this problem?

Tile Gap.jpg

Sponsored Links
Edit:

As much of my roof is exposed, can I start relaying the new tiles to protect from the roof from the elements or is it best to get a solution to the above problem, before proceeding?

Is the solution a bonding gutter? and can this work if the existing tiles on the roof have a broken bond pattern, with staggered interlocks?

Last edited:
Bump them back on every tile .
Are you saying that i should butt the tiles up tight ie with no spacing between them?

If so, then i tried this multiples times and there is no chance of the tiles fitting.

The new metric moderns are approximately 5-10mm larger in width compared to the old imperial moderns.

I did notice that when I swapped 5-6 new tiles for the old ones, then the row did fit.

Is there anything else i can do?

@^woody^ please chime in

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Things to try ....

Can some of the neighbours tiles be pushed back/ tightened to give more room?

Carry some new tiles across the party wall?

Open the joints slightly on the new tiles?

A secret bonding gutter at one end and stagger the cuts/butts to follow the bond - if the gutter is wide enough? This avoids a straight joint.

Use the old tiles over each party wall, then if the neighbours do their roofs you or they can then replace them?

Things to try ....

Can some of the neighbours tiles be pushed back/ tightened to give more room?

Carry some new tiles across the party wall?

Open the joints slightly on the new tiles?

A secret bonding gutter at one end and stagger the cuts/butts to follow the bond - if the gutter is wide enough? This avoids a straight joint.

Use the old tiles over each party wall, then if the neighbours do their roofs you or they can then replace them?
Has anyone told you that you're a genius?

Your advice worked! Well chuffed :mrgreen:

Thanks @^woody^

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back