Help needed. Replaced two light switches but now tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could someone please help me?
Replaced two light switches but it keeps tripping now. Replaced them like for like but something obviously gone wrong.
Switch 1 in Bedroom: 2 Black wires and 2 Red wires. The switch has two switches with two L1, L2 and Com entries.
Switch 2 on other side of wall in hallway: 1 Black, 1Blue and 2red. The switch is one switch with 2 L1 and 2 L2 options. This one is tripping the switch board but I think it is because I am doing something wrong with the bedroom switch.

Can someone help me to figure this out?
Kind regards
Ryan

Just to add. Hallway is currently wired: Both red in L2 and both black and blue in L1. Pretty sure this how it was before and messed up configuration in bedroom?

Sponsored Links
You will need to supply photographs of the rear of all the switches you have changed. I assume you never made a note of the way the switches were wire before and what lights they operated.

For a standard two gang switch I would expect the red cable to go into Common and the black to go into L1 for both switches.

Sounds like the second hallway switch could be an intermediate switch is that what it replaced?

Sponsored Links
Hallway switch

Bedroom switch

I have posted them for you but it is difficult to see which terminal each cable goes to can you turn the back of the switches to face the camera?

Wrote down hallway. Both red in L2 and both black and blue in L1. One way switch. Controls one light in hallway.

Think I messed up the bedroom switch. It has 2 switches controlling just one light in bedroom. It has 2 black and 2 red wires.

Many thanks
Ryan

Dealing with the hallway first - if you had a one way switch in the hallway before - you now have what appears to be an intermediate switch.
Is that yellow cable going to the earth on the back of the switch an earth wire or is it part a 3 core cable?
Is the hallway light also controlled from downstairs or another switch somewhere else?

Moving to the bedroom - metal switches must be earthed to the back box. Is there an earth into the backbox?

Why have you got a 2 gang switch if you only had one 1 gang before?

I assumed the yellow is an earth so attached it to earth. Yes it has another switch on other side of hallway which I haven't touched luckily.

There is no earth wire in the bedroom. There was a two gang before but only controlling one light.

Think I found first problem. The old hallway switch has one L1 (both black and blue) and one L2 (both red) and com options. The yellow must have been in the comms and I assumed it was earth.

The new switch has only 2 L1 and 2 L2 options.

Where shall I put the yellow.

I assumed the yellow is an earth so attached it to earth. Yes it has another switch on other side of hallway which I haven't touched luckily.
Okay firstly the hallway switch is wired wrong - the wiring suggests that it is acting as a two way switch - you have an intermediate but we can turn that into a two way.
You will need to open up the other hallway switch and check which terminals which colour cable go into - hopefully we will only find a red/blue and yellow there.
If so then back at the new switch you will need to remove the yellow cable from the earth. Separate the cables into their two sheaths - one will have red/black and earth and the other will have red/blue/yellow and earth.
Make sure the earths go to the back box and run another piece of earth cable from the back box to the switch earth.
Taking the red/black cable put the red into the Left L2 and the black into the Right L2. The put the other three colours into Top L1 (common on other switch), Left L2(L1 on other switch) and Right L2 (L2 on other switch)

Can I just check I understand correctly?

L2 red and L2 black

All 3 wires (red, blue and yellow) together into top L1?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back