Help needed. Replaced two light switches but now tripping

Can I just check I understand correctly?

L2 red and L2 black

All 3 wires (red, blue and yellow) together into top L1?
To be honest you would be better off getting a proper single gang two way switch. However...

L2 red and L2 black - from 2 core sheath - earth to back box.
Then you need to record which colour cable goes into which terminal at the OTHER hallway switch - E.g. Common = red L1= black and L2 = yellow then at the new switch put the Common colour into L1 left. L1(other switch) into L2 (the one with the red cable) and L2(other switch) to L2 (the one with the black cable)

Sponsored Links
Hallway is wired as you said above. Red in L2 and black into L2, all three red blue and yellow onto L1 left. Not tripping anymore but light isn't working. Does it feed from bedroom? Bedroom is working by the way but maybe wired wrong?

Hallway is wired as you said above. Red in L2 and black into L2, all three red blue and yellow onto L1 left. Not tripping anymore but light isn't working. Does it feed from bedroom? Bedroom is working by the way but maybe wired wrong?
Note to self: Patience is going to be needed here - on my behalf ;)
Re-read what I have written regarding the three core and earth.
Now we will have to take this one step at a time:
Go to the OTHER hallway switch and write down the terminal numbers C, L1 and L2 or whatever they say and put next to them the colour of the cable that goes into each terminal. Then report back.

Does it feed from bedroom?
How come you are asking us, when you are there and we are not?

There is Plan A, and there is Plan B.

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Check for voltage present, circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  • Connect everything up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
Just trying different things hoping to luck on the right combination is foolish. You should NOT be following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without actually understanding why.

Sponsored Links
Other side of hallway is currently red = L2, Blue = L1 and Yellow = Com

Do I need to use this configuration where I have the problem?

Confused...

Other side of hallway is currently red = L2, Blue = L1 and Yellow = Com

Do I need to use this configuration where I have the problem?

Confused...
Right - back to the new switch in the hallway.
Looking at the switch we have top left L1 put the yellow. top right L1 = should be empty.
Bottom Left L2 (should already have the red in ) put the blue.
Bottom right L2 (should already have the black in) put the red.

This is what we are trying to achieve - although the colours may be in different terminals and we are using an intermediate switch :
//www.diynot.com/wiki/_detail/...sw.jpg?id=electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

Okay - we are getting to the point where I would suggest you get a multi-meter and start testing the cables to see if we can establish a link between your hallway ceiling light and switch and your bedroom light and switch. But I have a feeling that might be beyond your abilities?

Just a thought - at the new bedroom (2 gang) switch there are two sets of cables yet only one light operates from this switch.
The original switch was also a two gang I take it.

Just try putting the two reds into the Common on the first switch and the two blacks into L1 on the first switch.

Correct regarding bedroom. I changed the bedroom as above and bedroom is working. However hallway is still not switching off.

I have a multimeter. But if easier should I go out and buy a new one gang two way switch for hallway?

I have a multimeter. But if easier should I go out and buy a new one gang two way switch for hallway?
New one gang two way switch for hallway yes.
But if you wired the intermediate switch the way I suggested then unless the switch has been damaged it should have worked.
Can you photograph and upload both the new and old hallway switch wiring and terminal identification clearly so I can verify that the wiring is indeed correct - it may save you a trip out.

Talking of which I have to go out for an hour or so to earn a few bob so I may not respond again before 1900hrs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back