Help needed to choose the right electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need a piece of advise....

I will be installing an electric shower soon. When I checked the fuse box I can see that it is marked as RCD and 80A. What is the maximum size of shower the fuse box can support?

Should I go for a 9.0W,9.5W, 9.8W, or 10.8 shower? I prefer to go for a very powerful one but I am worried it will overload the fuse box.

any advise appreciated,

cheers

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the information you've provided isn't much to go on. Do you have a make and model for the consumer unit or, failing that, a picture?

So do you have a shower circuit already?

If not:
  • Do you know how to work out what size cable and MCB to use for a new circuit, allowing for voltage drop, R1+R2 and the effect that how you install it has on current carrying capacity?

• Do you know the rules for cables concealed in walls & partitions etc?

• Do you know the rules for where you can put accessories in bathrooms?

• How will you test the circuit before energising it?

• Are you aware the the work is notifiable?

If you have:

It must be a 32A one, so you're limited to 7.6kW.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your quick reply...

No...this is my first electric shower and no any existing cabling....

Electrecian said once he finished the job he will test and sign off then issue a certification....he is yet to come and see ....

I have no idea and electrecian will come and have a look first...
Electrecian said once he finished the job he will test and sign off then issue a certification....
Ah - OK - I took this
I will be installing an electric shower soon.
to mean what it said.... :confused:

When I checked the fuse box I can see that it is marked as RCD and 80A. What is the maximum size of shower the fuse box can support?
Check with your electrician. He might be able to get showers cheaper than you can anyway.

That consumer unit is rated to MAX 60A.

Therefore its maximum outgoing way is 32A - 7.6kw as Ban said.

I'd get it replaced. It has a single RCD which, if it trips, will take everything out. And if it wont reset you're buggered.

Its a cheap and nasty unit anyway. New CU between £200-400, probably cheaper with a shower circuit. And you could have a 10.8kw shower if you get a new CU ;)

once again many thanks for all the replies...

the C.U was already there when I bought the house two yrs ago.....I'll wait for the electrecian and worst come to worst i'll replace the C.U....

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back