Help needed! To fit clothes rails between plasterboard sides

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please
My daughter wants me to fit in two clothes rails ( no shelves) in a small walk in wardrobe 234cm height (i.e. Floor to ceiling) 52cm deep and 140cm wide. My problem is that the two sides are plasterboard and the back and ceiling are plasterboard/brick/concrete. My daughter wants two simple clothes rails one at the ceiling height( she is prepared to use a fold down stepping stool for this!) as well as one at chest height. I'm having great difficulties deciding on the best approach, my main problem is the clothes rail at chest height, and the problem of avoiding it sagging in the middle ( the 140cm is quite long) .
Thought about side battens and outing some smooth timber across ( say 44mm x 96mm) and slinging the rail under the timber? I would secure the battens with some grip adhesive and screws with plasterboard raw plugs. Would this work- I.e. Would it be robust enough? As for the top rail I thought it might be more straightforward , just needs some timber screwed to the ceiling plasterboard/concrete , and the rail slung underneath?
So what do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Sponsored Links
A pair of vertical boards, say 15 x 100 running from floor to ceiling with socket holes predrilled through at the height of the required rails. This board is then glued (sticks like sh*t or similar) to the plasterboard and rests on the floor. Slip rails in before glueing and Bob's your uncle.

Agree with Jack, two strip of 18mm mdf would be cheapest and could paint up to match walls.Use oval rail for greater strength.You could build fold out step to reach the top though more practical to put shelf at top and have two rails , one above head hight and one just above waist hight.

Many thanks both , this certainly is a much better option - I hadn't 't thought of vertical boards. I think I would use chrome end caps instead of inserting the rails into cutouts on the boards- that way it would be possible to alter the rail positions more easily in the future. BUT my one remaining fear is that of sagging in the centre of the rails. It is a run of 1.4 metres with no central support. I notice that you pointed out that the oval shaped rail is more sturdy.Is it your opinion that if I chose an oval rail it would cope with a 1.4 m span without sagging when the rail is full of clothes?
One more many thanks for your support!

Sponsored Links
Oval is certainly better than round of the same "diameter" but whichever you use ensure it is at least 1" (15mm) diameter. The equivalent oval will be around 25 x 40mm. (30mm would be better) Rather than cheap wardrobe tubing, consider round curtain tubing - this is designed to carry weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back