Help needed wiring digital thermostat to old system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Danfos RMT230 thermostat controlling a 20 year old boiler (no manual) and just bought a Salus RT500RF thermostat. I prefer to connect the new stat in the living room in the same location as the old one.
The Danfos is connected to 2 wires: black to L and beige to N, and across them is 230 V. There are no other wires coming out of the wall.
The boiler main supply: brown to N and blue to L. Inside the boiler are two connectors for the thermostat: blue wire connected to G and black to D.
Belgium does have different color codes from some other countries, but in some places in the house the landlord seems to have used whatever wire was close to his hand, so I wouldn't rely on wire color.
The Salus has L, N, COM and N/O. I do have an outlet right next to where the Danfos is sitting, which I believe I need to connect to L and N in the new stat, but both wires are red.
I am tempted to call an electrician the guy who services the, but Im rather hard jeaded about trying to do things on ùmy own. I hope someone can give some guidance.

Sponsored Links
I think you've got the wrong thermstat, the rf is wireless whereas your old one wasn't

I too believe you are talking about the wrong thermostat, this sounds like the rt500 and if this is the case you will not be able to wire it in using just the 2 wire thermostat you currently have.
Or are you confusing us and describing the receiver box that would be wired closer to the boiler, enabling you disconnect the aforementioned wires at the wall and place the salus transmitter over the unsightly gap in the front room.
So did the box you bought it in come with 2 units, or just one ?

Sorry, indeed it wasn't clear because I was talking about many things at the same time.
The new stat is wireless and is composed of two pieces. The receiver has four connections: COM and switched output to control the boiler, plus live and neutral connections to power the receiver so it can communicate with the wireless control unit.

Sponsored Links
You will need to site the receiver, from the info you've given, near the boiler and connect the L & N in boiler to same in receiver, the 2 wires that feed the old 'stat should be connected the the switch terminals in receiver. Make sure the power is off and remove the fuse before starting and if in any doubt get a pro in.

Thanks twgas, I'll do that.
There is no neutral, the electricity here is baphasic 110+110, and that is what goes into the boiler. So Unless there is a specific reason why the receiver should be next to the boiler, I would rather put it in the living room and bring it power from a nearby source.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back