HELP needed with immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I have a lack of hot water....

I have an immersion heater system for my hot water (pics attached) and from what I gather from reading these forums the two electrical cables leading into the heater connect to two separate filaments. The top one fires up when I flick the booster switch and the bottom one works the rest of the time. Although now it doesn't seem to be working - the booster switch still heats the water, but this is the only way for it to get hot. When I took of the cap on the bottom filament thing it looked like my second pic. Here are my questions:

Is the blue thing a fuse?
If so, where can I get a replacement (assuming it has broken)?
If this doesn't fix it I was going to try a new filament. Wise?

Many thanks everyone.

Andy

View media item 17016 View media item 17017 [/img]

Sponsored Links
Thanks kevplumb. People have been telling my to swap the fuse. I can't seem to find where it is though. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
fuse will be in the fuse box or consumer unit

consumer%20units.jpg
:idea:

It goes straight into the wall and has a switch like a light switch (which is on!). I took that off and there was no sign of a fuse, just wires coming in from the mains and then going out into the cable leading to the heater.

I have a load of trip switch on the wall and one is specifically labelled "hot water". Is it possible that it doesn't have fuses? If so should my next step be to replace the filament?

kevplumb:

If the fuse had gone in the box you kindly posted, would it not be the case that the booster switch also wouldn't work?

Not sure if you have Economy 7 electricity? If so the bottom immersion could only be 'live' between 1 a.m. and 8 a.m., dont be fooled into thinking there's a supply issue until you check there's power there between those times.

Top immersion is likely to be a 'boost'this would be 'live' 24/7, in case you need to heat more water outside of the E7 hours.

If chappy doesn't know what the blinking fuse looks like (no offense meant Andy) I have sneaking suspicion he may not have a multimeter :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back