HELP!! Nightmare Boiler ... Worcester 24i

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a flat and with it, a boiler that has been nothing but trouble! And once again, i have no heating or hot water and they are forecasting snow!! The first engineer replaced the flow switch but said it may be PCB although the boiler was working again. Then it stopped so the second engineer ( a new one as the first one didnt really seem to know what he was talking about!) replaced the fan, the pump and the PRV, and after a lot of fiddling around the boiler ignited and worked perfectly for a couple of weeks, except for the occaisonal failure to ignite. Now...absolutely nothing! When switched on the pump and fan kick in, then a couple of quiet clicks and thats it, no ignition at all. The last engineer talked about the gas valve and the PCB, but he also seemed confused. I am considering buying a new PCB but dont want to keep throwing away good money. Can anyone Help, or at least tell me that i am wasting my time!!! :?:

Sponsored Links
Not having much luck are you?

So far the following have been replaced:-

Flow switch
Fan
PRV
Pump

And you are currently being told that the gas valve and/or the PCB may need to be changed.

What are the odds that all of these components developed multiple, similtaneous faults that meant that they actually needed changed? Lottery odds I would imagine - not the UK one either - I reckon the euro lottery.

I think you need to get someone in who offers some sort of guarantee or at least a no diagnosis/no fee deal.

My money is on the Air pressure switch being faulty. I used to work for worcester and the APS was about the only thing to ever fault on these boilers.

If you replace all the parts on the boiler then you will have cured the fault but that is not proper fault diagnosis.

I would not wish to pay for parts which had not fixed the fault!!!

We cannot diagnose the fault from what you have told us. You need a competent engineer who is prepared to give a no-fix no-fee charging basis. We can do that but many others are not very confident of their capabilities!

You would have been better to get British Gas, we are told they do a fixed price repair for about £150 for the first fault! Trouble is its their decision how many faults there are.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Only thing I've had to replace on these boilers is the air pressure switch.

Check resistance on open/closed contacts - anything more than 0.5 ohm's maybe suspect. Test the contacts several times to make sure there OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back