Protherm 80EC pcb fault help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to this boiler last and it was completly dead , nothing on the display , pump not running or fan , main pcb was burnt out ( the transformer ) new pcb ordered and fitted , now the display comes on and the pump runs but nothing else happens , fan doesnt run , +volts to the fan but no neutral , spoke to technical help who went through testing for voltages etc and he was convinced that the ignition pcb had gone and had caused the main pcb to blow as well , new ignition board ordered and fitted and it is still the same ,ie no fan runs and thus nothing else happens , I am now in the place of was the replacement main pcb faulty as the boiler worked fine before that board blew . ld have sorted it Any help greatly appreciated as this is well getting on my nerves cause replacing the main pcb should have sorted this out .:(((

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you need a competent boiler engineer!

Or a fixed price repair from BG.

Tony

Thanks for that useless help , the main pcb was definatly burnt out as you could see where the transformer had exploded causing no display or anything else to work . I have only replaced the ignition board after extensive testing with protherm technical help even though I am drawn to having been supplied with a faulty main board , I have tested all the thermistors and overheat sensors and tech help can not come up with a solution now .

Sponsored Links
Exactly, thats why you need a competent boiler engineer at the appliance to see what has failed and why.

Blindly changing parts is an expensive way to try to repair boilers. I suppose the logical next part to change is the whole boiler.

Exactly, thats why you need a competent boiler engineer at the appliance to see what has failed and why.

Blindly changing parts is an expensive way to try to repair boilers. I suppose the logical next part to change is the whole boiler.

In a lot of ways Tony is right Tomy, being a 'Parts Changer' is a daft way to go about boiler repairs.

You need to adopt logical steps, and one you have completely overlooked is a basic Electrical Safety Test. It's the electrics & electronics that control the boiler, if they're on the blink, well your stuffed!! The water & gas are the simple parts.

How have i overlooked electrical testing , when I have tested everywhere I have been told to test with the aid of protherms technical helpdesk , ie chcking for polarity and thermistor resistance readings and correct voltages everywhere specified etc etc , Some of you just want to get on their high horses . Dont actually think anyone on here knows where else to test if thats the case why not say your stumped as is protherms helpdesk !!!!!

How have i overlooked electrical testing , when I have tested everywhere I have been told to test with the aid of protherms technical helpdesk , ie chcking for polarity and thermistor resistance readings and correct voltages everywhere specified etc etc , Some of you just want to get on their high horses . Dont actually think anyone on here knows where else to test if thats the case why not say your stumped as is protherms helpdesk !!!!!

So you have done an electrical safety tests on the incoming supply & on the boiler, with the boiler disconnected from the electrical supply?? I'm not stumped because it's not my repair mate. Tony will not help unless your a RGI or a member of the combustion chamber pot.

On most boilers there's a lot more checks required than the few you mentioned.

How have i overlooked electrical testing , when I have tested everywhere

To be fair mate, you haven't tested everything, as if you had and all was ok then you would have a working boiler, and it is no good testing if you are not going to do anything about the results, for example
fan doesnt run , volts to the fan but no neutral

why has it got "no neutral" have you checked the harness and connections? and more importantly have you checked mains polarity first?

Matt

@ Matt1e The reason the fan has no neutral is because it is fed via permanent live and the neutral is switched to it on demand , so who knows nothing now .
A Agile if your not going to help why bother being part of a forum to help people , keep your unhelpfull negative comments to yourself.
@mickyg +ve means positive mains but no neutral from the mains fairly self explaintory

@mickyg +ve means positive mains but no neutral from the mains fairly self explaintory

no its not, and if your gonna be funny i wont help. I used to work for the manufacturer, I know this boiler inside out. Good luck

I had a brief look at the MIs & I think it's a two speed fan & also it has two PCBs; Main board & ignition board.

But if there's no Neutral, it'll not fire, ever!!!

@ Matt1e The reason the fan has no neutral is because it is fed via permanent live and the neutral is switched to it on demand , so who knows nothing now .

Well since you ask, you it looks like, as you are the one onsite

I dont know this boiler but I'll try to make it simple for you

so far you have fitted a new pcb and a new ignition module so for now, lets take them out of the equation as they are rarely faulty out of the box
you have left, everything that connects to them (that you say you have tested ok)

but you have found this

+volts to the fan but no neutral

now I have never seen your boiler but I can see the wiring diagram in the MI's and based on
spoke to technical help who went through testing for voltages etc and he was convinced that the ignition pcb had gone

then persumably the neutral (switched or not) for the fan is sourced from the ignition module if technical think that (this will depend on the expertise of the technical adviser but you should know which board it is sourced from as you have had your meter on the fan conections)
if it is sourced from the ignition module then that in turn sources its neutral connection from the main pcb
you already know that the main pcb has a working live and neutal connected to it, but that doesn't mean the ignition mod has, so

why has it got "no neutral" have you checked the harness and connections?

Well have you?

as I say I dont know your boiler, Maybe you should have been nicer to mickyg

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back