Help NO HEATING!!! Johnson & Starley warm air

OK so in answer to the earlier question - when I put the summer air circulation to 'on' the fan does not automatically start up. Later however (with summer air circ still set to 'on') it did it's usual random start up (burner & fan) for a while before cutting out again.
The burner shouldnt come on when set to summer, only the fan should activate

Sponsored Links
Don't worry, the panels only came off for the photos, normally the panels are on all the time

The burner shouldnt come on when set to summer, only the fan should activate
The heating was set to 'on' as well as the summer air circulation (I didn't leave it on summer only cos the house is very cold so we need the heat from these occasional firing-ups). Does the fact that the fan did not start when 'Summer Air Circulation' switched on point towards anything?

BTW I am trying to get someone in.. but our usual guy, who knows this machine, is not answering. In the meantime if anyone has ideas re this mysterious behaviour I'd be grateful!
eg. what about that black box I posted a picture of?

Last edited:
Is there a chance it might just be a question of adjusting the setting on that little black box???

Sponsored Links
Yeah the one that says “do not alter safety cut stop” :cautious:

Don't worry Old Salt I am not about to start fiddling with it! Just really keen to try to understand what the problem might be

We are very limited in what we can tell you on this open forum, do not touch that box, I just wanted to see if someone had been messing with it and what was below it, that isnt your fault, and you cant have the control set at summer and winter at the same time , when set to summer only the fan runs to cool the house the burner will not come on

That's interesting to know you can't run the summer air & heating at the same time. I guess that makes sense. The switches on mine are such that you could have 'Summer Air' & 'Heating' both set to 'on all the time' - in that scenario would Summer Air run until the heating kicks in (eg. when the ambient temperature is below the thermostat setting) ie. the summer air is overridden by the heating???

What exactly is that black box? Ian apart from being mounted upside down(!) does that black box look ok to you?

What exactly is that black box? Ian apart from being mounted upside down(!) does that black box look ok to you?
It is an overheat thermostat, or limit thermostat, if a fault occurs in the boiler and it is getting too hot, it cuts power to the gas valve and shuts every thing down for safety, that isnt your problem though, dont worry about it being upside down, and dont try to adjust it

Don't worry, I won't touch it! Out of interest do you think that what it is set to is good?

Thank you. Are any of you heating engineers who might happen to live near Beckenham ?!

your best bet is to go onto the Gas safe register and search for an engineer , just put your post code in and select WAU and you will get a list of locals near to you with the correct qualification to help you out

Does the power supply to your fan go into a plug that passes through a plate between the fan housing and the rest of the unit ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back