Help no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved into new house with gas fire and back boiler and a hot water tank in loft, i turned off water from stop tap while i fitted a new kitchen worktop, but when i turned water back on, there is no water coming out of hot taps at all (cold is fine) please help me :(

Sponsored Links
If you only turned off the cold feed and drained the loft storage tank they you have an airlock.

Do you have cold water in the bath?

If you turned off cold feeds to the house from the outlet of the storage then the inside of a gate valve may have sheared off!

Tony

How long was the water off for? You may have drained the cold water storage cistern in the loft. Check that it has refilled the ball valve may have stuck. If it is full you probably have an airlock in the hot water system.

If it is airlocked there are a few ways to try and clear it.

Shut all hot outlets bar one and at this outlet

1. try sucking on the tap, can sometimes work but you can enfd up with a gob full of water.

2. Try using a wet/dry vac to suck water through to the tap.

3. Try and back pressure with mains pressure.

Mike

First check the ball cock tap and there is water in the expansion tank.
if no water manually lift the ball and gently tap the ball cock valve, still no water......if no.
Short out the hot and cold taps downstairs with a hose and clips , turn on all hot taps then the cold tap with the hose on and back fill the hot in short busrts once you get water comin out turn the tap off,
and so on UNTIL THE EXPANSION TANK.
keep close eye on it for filling or filling from the expansion loop, ITS LEADS TO OVERFLOWING so slowly do it, you should hear tho' , once you get water there turn off cold tap and remove the hose then and let the hot waterflow and clear any air.
for a quick one try the hose method for about 30 secs then remove hose and let hot tap run , keep tryin few times cos that usually works first time when you touch wood and cross your fingers, ha,....its back fillin from mains like Mike said and saves water in the mouth, and if its been emptied who knows what contaminant the water has....could make you poorly.
Good Luck
F ;) X

Sponsored Links
just turned the main stop tap off and drained the system now cold came straight back but hot gives nothing im thinking air lock, will there be 2 tanks in loft, got one wich was full of hot water and a little feeder tank attached

The larger tank in the loft is the cold water store for the HW cylinder.

As said before, check the ballcock has not stuck 'up' and stopping the tank from filling.

Assuming the supply tank is full you will need to force cold mains water up hot water supply pipe.

Its easiest to do that at a kitchen mixed tap.

Turn on hot tap, put a plastic bag folded into an eighth and hold it over the tap spout and then turn on the cold tap for about a minute. A bit of water will leak out but if you are lucky on finishing and turning off the cold tap the hot will continue to run.

Tony

The larger tank in the loft is the cold water store for the HW cylinder.

the larger tank had hot water and had a smaller tank at side which i presume was filling the larger?

now im confused what with pipes bags and blowing lol

Assuming the supply tank is full you will need to force cold mains water up hot water supply pipe.

Its easiest to do that at a kitchen mixed tap.

Turn on hot tap, put a plastic bag folded into an eighth and hold it over the tap spout and then turn on the cold tap for about a minute. A bit of water will leak out but if you are lucky on finishing and turning off the cold tap the hot will continue to run.

Tony
i like that tip :idea: nice agile i'll remember that one,
Fox

i forgot to say, if you have an electric immersion on your hot water be sure its turned off untill your sure your immersion tank is full off water(coming out of h/w taps).
your immersion tank is the one that was hot .

It's very unlikely that the hot water cylinder is empty if the Op has only drained the tanks in the loft. The only way to empty the cylinder should be by draining it down.

Mike

The water in the larger tank should be cold. This is just the stored supply for the HW cylinder.

Wheteher hot or cold though, it proves there is water in it so try the cold mains up the hot tap trick.

Agiles tip will only work if the mixer tap mixes the hot and cold in the tap body. It won't work if the water only mixes in the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back