Help - Noisy Boiler and DIY Disaster

Thanks again TCCHeating. Was about to drain down the system this morning, when I noticed that I don't have a 52mm spanner, and my stillson only goes up to 40mm, so just a word of warning to anyone else following this, make sure you have a spanner / tool big enough!

It not all bad news, the delay meant I read the Grundfos instrctions with more care, and it appears it cannot be mounted with the shaft vertical, I.e. with the bleed cap the the top, as I was planning.

Ash

Sponsored Links
I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to this thread and for the good advice (and reassurances) given.

I partially drained the system last night, and after purchasing an 18" Stillson from Screwfix, it took me around 30 minutes to remove and refit the pump, taking extra care not to create another DIY disaster. All went well, and the system has a another litre of of X100 just in case.

Despite having the heating and HW on and off all day, there was no air in the radiators this evening, which is a first since we moved into the house.

There is also no gurgling, all of which points to the issue being resolved. I'll monitor it over the next few days, but it does appear that we have a result!

However, while double checking for leaks around the pump a few minutes ago, I could not help but notice a clicking sound from the pump. I honestly do not know if this sound was there before, and just masked, or whether by reversing the pump, I have created another issue.

I did follow the instructions, and mounted the pump with the bleed cap pointing upwards slightly from the horizontal, if that makes sense.

I could do with one final piece of advice from all you experts. I do have an MP3 but Diynot will not allow this type of file to be uploaded.

Thanks again.

Ash

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back