help! noob leecy... fiting an outside socket?

racket said:
Don't take it to heart Dave, BAS is the local "know it all" who should get out more. :LOL: He takes great pleasure in slating people who want advice, I don't think he realises it's a DIY help site ;)

True he thinks he owns the bloody website.

Sponsored Links
I'm not quite sure how this relates to Dave9's socket? Maybe you and Racket should start a new thread in the General Discussion Area.

hi - just to verify:

1 cable is no good because its already on a spur.
3 cable is no good because ts already supplying a spur.

so 2 cable is what one needs to fit another socket? right?

Thats a bit simplistic but not a bad place to start. When your books arrive have read about spurs, ring final circuits and radial circuits.

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
Thats a bit simplistic but not a bad place to start. When your books arrive have read about spurs, ring final circuits and radial circuits.

ok thanks, will do :D

CAWORK said:
racket said:
Don't take it to heart Dave, BAS is the local "know it all" who should get out more. :LOL: He takes great pleasure in slating people who want advice, I don't think he realises it's a DIY help site ;)

True he thinks he owns the b****y website.
My theory is that he has a personal vendetta against Dave9 and Dave10, who, AFAIK, are the same person ;)

crafty1289 said:
My theory is that he has a personal vendetta against Dave9 and Dave10, who, AFAIK, are the same person ;)
Ah well - another theory bites the dust ;) ;)

But I am mindful of Dave's previous posts, where he's displayed a staggering inability to grasp what's going on, or to accept safety advice, and I can't help but note that he looked at this:

elec23fe.jpg

and didn't see two cables, and read this:

If there is one cable going to the socket, then that socket is already on a spur and is therefore unsuitable.

and thought that a socket would work with just one single core going to it.

LOL! no I did not say such a thing... Obviously It would least have to have a Live & neutral.

My theory is that he has a personal vendetta against Dave9 and Dave10, who, AFAIK, are the same person

No, I did not create Dave10's account... If your friendly with the admin, ask him or her to identify compare the login ips.

:confused:

I am really starting to belive ban-all-sheds takes pleasure in illustrating & thriving off peoples weaknesses... I guess it makes him feel better about himself.... :(

elec23fe.jpg

As the picture is such a good example of how not to fit a socket, for the benefit of other DIYers I will explain why.

1. The socket has been fixed back using countersunk screws which can cut into the cable when the facia is pushed back. Always use round head screws.

2. I can’t see a grommet in the hole where the cables enter the box but there may be one, if not there should be one.

3.I know most people pull the earth back to strip T&E but this is not how sparks are/were taught to strip T&E. If you are going to use that method before you start get a penknife that’s not too sharp and score the outer sheath where you want to strip it back to. Don’t go right through and don’t use a Stanley knife. Pull the earth back to the score and then pull off the sheath. You will get a nice clean square end on your cable which looks much better than shown in the picture.

4. Keep the earth’s separate and put sleeve on both cables. There should be no copper showing either end.

cool, thanks for posting.

well I didn't fit the sockets, in fact this is quite a new house (9-10yrs old)

Westward i think, not sure, or maybe macclean?

Dave9 said:

LOL! no I did not say such a thing... Obviously It would least have to have a Live & neutral.
Sigh.

You read this: "If there is one cable going to the socket", and in your own words you thought "cable" meant "total wires visible".

Therefore you read a fitting guide which you thought said "If there is one wire in total going to the socket", i.e. which you thought described a scenario where a socket might have one single wire going to it.

And you didn't question it, or your interpretation, even though you now say that you knew all along that either it, or your interpretation had to be wrong.

Whatever.

My theory is that he has a personal vendetta against Dave9 and Dave10, who, AFAIK, are the same person

No, I did not create Dave10's account... If your friendly with the admin, ask him or her to identify compare the login ips.
It's Dave9's posts that I remember, and I also remember that lots of people, not just me, gave you advice which you didn't like then, and that you then accused all of us of thriving off people's weaknesses.

I am really starting to belive ban-all-sheds takes pleasure in illustrating & thriving off peoples weaknesses... I guess it makes him feel better about himself.... :(
Believe what you like - it is of absolutely no concern to me...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back