Adding outside Socket

Dek

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already have a double outside socket which I think is a spur from an inside socket. I want to install an outside remote control socket for gardenlights. Can I just link the new socket alongside the existing double socket?

Sponsored Links
No.

If you don't want to make work for yourself then just wire the new socket to a flex + 13A plug and supply from the existing double outlet.

How is the existing outside socket connected to the indoor socket? Is there an FCU? What cable has been used? Is the existing outside socket permanently protected by an RCD?

Thanks both.

Adding a plug might be my best option.

All I know about the existing socket is that it was fitted by professional electrician a few months ago

Sponsored Links
I hate how part P is encouraging this type of bodging! Don't get me wrong, its perfectly acceptable but it always used to make me cringe.

My mate's dad had a flood screwed to the wall running off a flex through the window, plugged into the kitchen. I always said to him "its nicer when its done properly, and not all that expensive!" but now, its the best solution! No notifying going on here!

Want power in the shed? run a massive extension lead with no consideration of load, indvidual circuit protecion, rcd cover blah blah blah! Don't even need to get the CU updated to split load as there is no modification going on that requires the wiring bringing up to regs!

Not only is it "Get away with it advice" it won't even help with the remote control, switch the garden lights on from the utility room, type requirement!

Mostly I agree with what you've written there CallEdsFirst, but I'm not sure that this is the result of Part P.

It seems even more prevalent now that part P means more work/admin/cost for doing things properly. "Chuck a plug on it" is a great catch-all for avoiding all that!

Take the washing machine in the bathroom post for instance. Surely if he'd plugged it into a socket outside the bathroom, no laws/regs broken?

I have stayed in rentals in France where the washing machine was standing in, and plugged in in, the bathroom!

I tend to agree with Softus.

Bodgers will bodge; most of them are unaware that anything has changed. Cowboy sparks will continue to cowboy, although some may decline to carry out certain work; I doubt very much that more cowboys have emerged since Jan 2005 (there were more than enough to go around before that). And I get plenty of work from builders who have ditched their previous contractors because they weren't registered... I can't be the only one.

On the householder side of things, those that don't know about P won't try to avoid it, those that have heard about it (in my experience) don't necessarily understand but are cautious about who they employ. And the numbers that are aware must be growing, simply by word of mouth.

No, I don't think Part P has made much difference, either way, to the lash-up brigade, but I'd lay bets that there has been an enormous increase in the proportion of domestic electrical work that is now certified.

(All we have to do now is work on getting that certification correct!)

I think thats probably the case, perhaps the number of bodgers hasnt changed. That aside, I still find it difficult to decide whether Part P has made a positive impact. Agreed there was a lot of fuss over nothing before it came in about how it would put everyone out of business et etc, but has it made any real difference apart from take money from the honest electricians pockets for paperwork?

No difference to the lash up brigade but more (badly) certified work? Is that a good enough result?

CallEdsFirst said:
...has it made any real difference apart from take money from the honest electricians pockets for paperwork?

I think it has.

All my work is because I am registered and I am far busier now than I ever was before.
Most new customers now ask if I'm, "erm, you know... new regs, sort of stuff.. do you? ... are you... erm...?" or words to that effect! :LOL:

As for the taking money 'from honest electricians' line, surely it is a good thing that those same honest (decades out of date) electricians now have an incentive to keep up to date, to actually test their work and to issue certificates? The cost of registration is far outweighed by the extra work and, proportioned out over the year, adds very little to each job. That's my experience at least.

And, anyway, those same 'honest electricians' have two other choices: to go via LABC and incorporate building notice fees into their costs, or to break the law.

You got me, im convinced. I havent had much involvement with Part P since before it came in (no i am not a cowboy ignoring it!) but its good to hear real electricians giving positive vibes! Im gonna start a new thread! Woo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back