help! noob leecy... fiting an outside socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I wouldn't mind attempting to fit a outside socket however I am still a bit un-sure of few things... I know that I need to add the new socket to a existing socket... ok fair enough..so after reading through the guide, it states:

If there is one cable going to the socket, then that socket is already on a spur and is therefore unsuitable. If the socket has three cables going to it then it is already supplying a spur circuit and so again again is unsuitable. Once a suitable socket has been found, you can close it up for the time being and restore electricity until you are ready to connect the new socket.

That's a kick in the balls for me, I got 5 wires... x2 black, x2 red & earth. (on both kitchen sockets)
So can i use that socket or not, does not state a "suitable" wiring situation?

electrwe4ic.jpg

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
What it means are 3 sets (3 red 3 black and 3 g/y - 3 T&E cables in other words)
You will need the ouside socket supplied via a RCD as well - be a suitable IP rated socket - suitable wiring method etc

Dave9 said:
That's a kick in the balls for me, I got 5 wires... x2 black, x2 red & earth. (on both kitchen sockets)
I have to say that the fact that you don't understand the difference between "cables" and conductors or cores (and you don't or you would never have thought your method of counting equated to theirs), and the fact that you haven't put this project on hold whilst you immediately sort out out the serious issue of only having one earth core, means that you shouldn't be fitting this socket.

Chances are that both earth conductors have been threaded through one piece of sleeving (possibly twisted together throughout the length as well), however it would be prudant for the OP to verify this

Sponsored Links
hi guys, thanks for the reply

Adam, yes my single earth cable has 2 conductors.

elec10op.jpg

elec23fe.jpg

:cry:

So why did you say that there was only one earth?

And why, when you can clearly see 2 cables, did you think you had 5?

ban-all-sheds said:
So why did you say that there was only one earth?

And why, when you can clearly see 2 cables, did you think you had 5?

hey man, i'm sorry, I thought it meant total wires visible & last night I didn't notice the twin earth.

That means that you think a socket could work with one wire going to it, i.e. one live, or one neutral or one earth.

That means that you don't have even the remotest idea of how electrical wiring works.

ban-all-sheds said:
That means that you think a socket could work with one wire going to it, i.e. one live, or one neutral or one earth.

That means that you don't have even the remotest idea of how electrical wiring works.

Ah, no I didn't think that at all.
I know a socket needs these 3 things... live, neutral & earth.

Ok if you don't want to help me, fair enough thats you decision... Mostly everytime I come here to seek advice I always get put down... I stated in my first post that I might have a go, nothing has been altered, I am only gathering info.

thanks alot

Dave9 said:
so after reading through the guide, it states:

If there is one cable going to the socket, then that socket is already on a spur and is therefore unsuitable. If the socket has three cables going to it then it is already supplying a spur circuit and so again again is unsuitable.
Dave9 said:
hey man, i'm sorry, I thought it meant total wires visible.
So you thought that the fitting guide meant that you could have a socket with one wire going to it.

You counted each of your lives, each of your neutrals and each of your earths as "one", got to 5, looked at the fitting instructions, and did not have a clue what any of it meant, or what anything you were physically looking at did.

Please get at least the first 3 on this list:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

Don't take it to heart Dave, BAS is the local "know it all" who should get out more. :LOL: He takes great pleasure in slating people who want advice, I don't think he realises it's a DIY help site ;)

yeah I know people are reluctant to provide advice sometimes... not because they're dicks or anything but because they don't want to see people get hurt or even dead.

I got no disrespect towards ban either, I know he knows his stuff... I just wanted to see if I could do this for myself.... He helped me before with my light problem and thanks to him they still work good!

I know I have alot to learn, I just needed wanted some advice thats all.

No worries, I've ordered some book, hehe

Wiring and Lighting - Mike Lawernce
Wiring and Lighting - Collins guide

edit... thanks Pensdown mate, cheers

edit2... actually crafty helped me with my lights, so thanks to him (sry m8)

:rolleyes:

Pensdown said:
You can wire it as per your diagram and use one of these outside if your Kitchen ring cct is not already protected by an RCD

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/MK56301.JPG

The work is notifiable to your LABC

...which you can buy from here:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK56301.html

though interestingly is more expensive than a double socket version:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK56231.html

or get one of these which is considerably cheaper:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LB8800.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back