Help! Oak pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
271B43F6-DB50-484B-9CB6-0A5309641280.jpeg

F6136E53-FC2C-4A46-8873-1A61CC1B1B0A.jpeg

Hello all

The oak pillars that my porch are sat on are showing signs that concern me after 18 months after build. They are sat on some stone tiles but water is penetrating. Any advice as to how to fix this?

I need some way of keeping the water away from the base... what would the professional do here?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Was Osmo Oil.

I think the issue is the stone at the bottom is not dispersing the water and pushing it away at an angle. So water is coming back under to the base of the wood

If you can lift the post a few milli-metres ( maybe with an Acrow prop to gently lift the porch ) then slide a sheet of 3 or 4 mm lead between post and slab. The lead will press into the end grain and seal it against moisture ingress, Trim the lead to be the same size as the post so no water gets to the top surface of the lead.

Sponsored Links
Was Osmo Oil.

I think the issue is the stone at the bottom is not dispersing the water and pushing it away at an angle. So water is coming back under to the base of the wood
Looks very dry [which will help soak up water] I put twenty coats of oil on my posts.Maybe a lead apron around the base.

Yes - that is my dilemma. Was thinking about cutting off the stone tile at the base and creating a concrete fall away or something

Yes - that is my dilemma. Was thinking about cutting off the stone tile at the base and creating a concrete fall away or something
That wont fix it , the sapwood is holding moisture hence the mould , should only use the heartwood in external joinery , sorry .
Will dry up in summer to silver , or in some years it will .
Doubt can do anything with it now until summer
Will out live all of us anyways .

Use an angle grinder with a stone cutting disc, and grind a slight fall from the corners of the oak so the water can drain away.
John :)

John - do you mean where the base of the wood meets the stone?

Yep, I think that the ends of the timber are sitting in a pool of water after rainfall - and the water is being absorbed upwards.
Grinding a fall from each corner will allow the water to disperse naturally.....I dont mean cutting a slot, more a path with the grinder wheel, just enough for the water to run off.
Treating the stone with Johnstones Waterseal or similar will prevent absorbtion into the stone and timber, but will need retreating from time to time.
The oak of course will last one hell of a long time on its own, but can look a bit untidy.
John :)

NO....... because rain water running down the side of the post will be trapped against the base of the post.
No ————- lead is placed in slot cut 100mm up from base around post and run out over entire base slab . No water can enter .

Good idea . Will cut some channels!
Just going to butcher it with a grinder ..
Dry it out and seal a bead of muck higher than the bottom of the timber ?
Can see exposed end grain ?
Scrub it off with soapy water ?

Cannot see end grain - this it sits on a 2mm bead of sealant which sits on the stone. That sealants isn’t stopping the water ingress.

Not sure if the muck would really seal - would there be a gap between wood and muck as the wood expands etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back