Help please- boiler gas mind of its own!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thanks for reading. Moved into a new flat recently and I’m being driven crazy by a problem. Here are the central Heating appliances I have:
Baxi Megaflo 2 compact GA
ThermaQ Unicyl 180 Indirect unvented storage Cylinder
2 Altech wall controls- one for the H/W (timer only) the other for the heating(timer and thermostat control).
All items are 3 years old and out of warranty.
So, I moved in, sussed out the complicated controls and all was ticking over nicely. My hot water heats the water in the cylinder ever morning from 10-11am. That’s adequate for my needs/usage. However for some reason the boiler at some random time decides to fire up and heat up the water when it sees fit, even though all wall controls are off on their timers (my plumber has confirmed my settings are correct and is mystified by what’s going on ). The water temperature thermostat dial attached to the storage cylinder is set to “3” out of 5, but when the boiler does “ it’s own thing” It heats it to scalding going higher than the no 3 setting. In desperation I turn the boiler off at the mains which gives me no heating. The next day, when turning the Baxi back on it seems to have settled TILL THE NEXT TIME! ( Oh and the immersion switch is set to off)Please help! Thank you. Ps. I’m not savvy at the workings of the system itself so bear with me!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have a look at the 2 port zone valve feeding the cylinder...might be sticking especially if it's a Danfoss/Sunvic or Drayton.
Post pics...

It’s a Baxi Megaflo. Ok. Thanks. Will look into that. Can’t get pics unfortunately. Thx.

Ah sorry. I see what you mean now. The 2,way valve is an ESi . How would I unstick it? Feel tempted to give it a whack!
A2FB547B-D2E9-4AA8-9EE2-2B03A2C5CE53.jpeg
image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remove the white actuator and check the spindle is free to move....not sure on these but the spindle might only move 15 degrees or so.
Otherwise could be iffy micrcoswitch inside etc but you need a multimeter and competence to check what's happening when the DHW is stuck on.
ESI aren't rated that much AFAIR.

https://www.esicontrols.co.uk/eszv222l.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back