Help please - Boiler lockout...air?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We ran out of oil at xmas time and unfortunatley i left the boiler running and it went onto lockout. We turned it off as we could not afford oil. We have now just had some delivered but when i press the reset button the boiler starts up with power but dosn't fire up.
I have heard there is likely air in the system and it needs to be bled out. Could someone advise how this is done? I would rather my partner had a go at it if it is simple to save on a callout from a plumber.
I have attached a photo of the pump.
It has on it Riello Burners RDB RDBI Worcester Greenstar 12/18

I understand i need a plumber but would like advice on how/if we can bleed it ourselves to save some money.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Can you see the silver flexible oil pipe just to the left of the red burner?
The pump is on the end of that.
Remove the red cover (you can see the screw on the right) and crack open the nut on the end of that flexy pipe 1/2 a turn - air and oil should come bubbling through.
John :)

This demonstrates the stupidity of anyone allowing oil to run dry in the tank!

It may well only be air in the pipe!

But it could also be as a result of sludge from the bottom of the tank blocking the inlet filter!

Tony

Sponsored Links

It may well only be air in the pipe!

But it could also be as a result of sludge from the bottom of the tank blocking the inlet filter!

Tony

We cant all be perfect! I was monitering the oil level but with it being -15 i was trying to get the most out of it and our sight guage was wrong.
Thank you to the other poster

Its unusual for a sight gauge to be "wrong".

Very important to ensure its working before refilling the tank!

Tony

Sight tubes get blocked and the press-buttons the same HOWEVER a garden cane used as a dip stick CAN NEVER LIE!! ;)

Remove the Red Cover on your Burner, at the left hand side you will see the oil pump, there will be a Hex extension Brass or steel stcicking out of the pump towards you (under the black plastic control box, in the end of the extension is a 4mm Allen plug, hold some paper towel around the hex and remove the 4mm plug, untill oil runs free, (it won't gush out just a trickle) refit the 4mm plug, after ensuring that the little "O" ring is still attached to it, tighen up press reset and away you go!! ;)

www.elanar.co.uk

hhhmmm the stick can be dodgey as our stick was reading a few inches when the boiler went on lockout.
My OH knocked on a plumbers door up the road and said we could not afford a call out fee but could he come look and he did and told us how to bleed it and its all working now. He said just what you guys said.
He said we are missing a filter which we can buy for a few quid.

Thank you for your replys.

Thanks for the update - it is appreciated!
Maybe you will have noticed that the tank outlet isn't actually at the bottom of the tank - this is to allow settlement of any sludge / water.
When using the dipstick, you have to take this into account.
John :)

A fuel line filter is always a good idea if you are going to let it run out of oil often to prevent sludge blocking the burner assembly.

When run out, if the tank has not been drained for a while its a good idea to let out any water collected at the bottom. There is usually a drain plug to help that. Also wait a few hours after refilling to allow disturbed sludge to settle.

You are lucky to have a helpful plumbing neighbour!

Reminds me of a mechanic I know why works in London but lives in Kent because he does not want customers knocking on his door on a Sunday!

Tony

lol not so good as my partner said the plumber said he will drop an invoice in next few days eeek he didnt actually do anything!

It would be real neighbourly if you took him a few cans of Beer, he will really appreciate it go on you know it makes sense!! ;)

My OH knocked on a plumbers door up the road and said we could not afford a call out fee but could he come look and he did and told us how to bleed it and its all working now. He said just what you guys said.He said we are missing a filter which we can buy for a few quid.

Well he certainly gave you good advice just as we did.

I dont follow the "we cannot afford a call out fee but come anyway" ?

Tony

Tony

But uncalled for Tony they already said they couldn't afford any oil!

Perhaps it was very cold and they were just trying to stay warm as long as possible.

We can't all be as rich as you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back