Help please, Bristan Shower part obsolete!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Bristan B85 shower installed in a property I rent out. There is a leak on the outlet and I just assumed it was a loose connection. However, taking off the cover I find the crimped hose inside has snapped off the outlet spigot. Looked everywhere online and can only find obsolete listing for the part I need:

http://www.showerdoc.com/no-longer-a...ip-sp-092-3017

The hose itself is no problem, as I can use jubilee clips to re-fit, but the broken threaded spigot is nowhere to be found. Any suggestions what I could do please? Would local plumbers merchants have fittings on the shelf - not genuine ones obviously, but something that would do? Need a repair by Saturday as property is let then, so urgent advice muchly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Your link does not work.

As you are a landlord, just have a new shower fitted. It will come off your tax bill at the end of your tax year.

Andy

Just fit a new one rigsby
There isn't a repair available and what impression will you give to your tenant with an appliance so old you cannot get parts for it

Sponsored Links
It is not at old appliance, it was only fitted 2.5 years ago - just outside the 2 year guarantee infact! I have a 15 year old shower in my own home and never expected to be chucking the Bristan out and starting again after such a short time - it wasn't exactly cheap either, I went for a good one to give a good quality look to the place.

I am not a residential landlord, its a holiday let and I have guests arriving on Saturday expecting a nice working shower in this hot weather, so can't magic up a new one in the next 48 hours! Just looking to get it up and running with a temporary fix so I can see us through the next 6-8 weeks until the season ends, and maybe upgrade/replace it then.

Thanks for the advice, but shame I detect a little anti-landlord vibe here?

a photograph of what you're looking for may help to get a positive response.

As to the bad landlord vibes - can you blame folk - some landlords are capable of sucking blood out of a stone and it's that type that are generally asking questions on how to botch up jobs on the cheap.

Not entirely sure what part is being referred to, but regardless. You are not going to source the part by Saturday.

You are however going to be able to get a new shower and get it fitted in less than an hour.

Shouldn't even need to fart about with tiles.

Thanks all, spoken to Bristan customer services and they have 500 of these parts on the shelf. So much for online shower spares suppliers saying its obsolete! In post, first class, should arrive tomorrow.

As for the blood sucking landlord, don't tar us all with the same brush, innocent until proven guilty and all that crap. I don't want to con anyone or appear to be bodging it, just want to get a good quick repair done to allow guests to have the comfort of a working shower. As for getting one fitted in 24 hours, when you live in sleepy Cornwall, its all "Dreckly my 'ansome!"

Thanks for those who replied, but as you have made your assumptions about me perfectly clear, don't think I'll be wasting my time asking any more questions here.

Had I missed out the bit about it being a rental property, I might have got a better response I guess. Not averse to spending money on doing it all properly and by the book, but then, you don't know me so just assume I am a money grabbing shark out to make tenant's lives a misery and provide a grotty dump for them ... your perogative I guess, mine is to look elsewhere for advice. Bye all!

Blimey.

Perhaps if there were less holiday lets and second homes driving up the price of property and lowering the amount of housing stock, there would be more younger people driven to earn a living and you'd get a bit less "Dreckly my 'ansome!" as competition from local tradesmen would be higher?

Oh, wait, let me flick some more tar off my brush.

FFS.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

KERNOW BYS VYKEN.

We are normally a friendly bunch, although some of the tongue-in-cheek, dry remarks do leave one thinking 'is that for real?'

Ask a question, just don't mention that you are a landlord, holiday home owner or council house scum.

(I'm the latter. Just don't let on!)

HI,
PART NO. SP-092-3017 NO LONGER IN STOCK.
USE A HOSETAIL FROM A HYDRAULICS SUPPLIER, COSTS ABOUT £2.
THE ONE YOU WANT HAS A 1/2 INCH B.S.P. TAPERED THREAD AND A TAIL OF 10mm DIA.( OR 3/8 OF AN INCH IN IMPERIAL SIZE)
CUT OF THE FERRULE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RUBBER PIPE USING A JUNIOR HACKSAW OR SIDE CUTTERS BEING CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE PIPE TOO MUCH.
FIT THE HOSETAIL TO THE PIPE WITH 2 HOSE CLIPS( JUBILEE CLIPS)
ONE TO CLAMP THE PIPE TO THE HOSETAIL AND ONE TO CLAMP AT THE BASE TO HELP SPREAD THE LOAD FROM THE SHOWER PIPE.
BEFORE STARTING TURN OFF THE ELECTRIC & WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED MAKE SURE NOTHING METALLIC IS TOUCHING THE ELECTRICS.
I DID THIS REPAIR & HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM.
HOSETAIL1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back