Help please, strange 'wet spot' problem. Damp? Condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After finishing the renovation of my end terrace, strange spots have appeared along the gable wall about 3 foot from the floor.

The spots have appeared where the plasterboard has been dabbed to the wall.

I need them gone now but I firstly need to know what is causing them and what I can do to get rid of them.

the back room in the house is connected to the kitchen and when cooking anything that produces steam - the spots get wet and drip somtimes!

Anyone have any ideas?

Pictures:

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

Ben[/img]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A typical 1 brick thick (225mm) wall would require 40mm of celotex type insulation to meet current reg's.

If space is a premium then go for the insulation that gives the greatest thermal resistance whilst being practical.

Do you intend dabbing direct to the wall or are you battening first?

I would try polstyrene wall veneer, buy it from homebase although only 2mm thick it makes a big difference its only about £ 4 per roll. I used good old PVA glue and a roller Its a bit fiderly to start but once you get used to hanging it, its easy. I also found hanging wall paper over it was really good no air bubbles, Its worth a try.

condensation settles onto a cold surfaces causing damp patches, the polystyrene when up is warm to touch, it does work. I have used it on a few walls and its made a big difference also it gives a nice smooth surface to wall paper over.

Thanks for the replies!

If i used the polysyrene method then I can paper over the top?

Would having cavity wall insualtion fitted be ok?

The gable is a double brick wall with a 30ish mm gap in between the courses.
Cheers

I would try the polystyrene wall veneer, it worked for me, What ever method you use for insulation if you have got poor ventilation in the house you are going to have problems with condensation and damp patches. Sorry but you could cure the problem wall and the condensation will find a new home, I know because I went through this when we changed the windows to plastic double glazing, we had more condensation because the house before had good ventilation through the old windows. So I Installed an extractor fan into the bathroom. put an air vent in the living room and a couple of bedrooms and during the warmer months leave the upstair windows open. Problem solved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back