Help Please - Timer Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a regular switch for the electric water boiler with a timer switch.
There were no wiring instructions and it looks unfamiliar can anyone tell me from the pictures below what would go where.

Top one is existing with L1 L2 3 4 and E slots.

The bottom is the timer with U1, U2, Com, No and Nc slots.
IMG_7827.jpg
IMG_9718.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, worrying.

I can find no details on-line.
Perhaps that's why there are no instructions - a legal requirement.

I would advise you to purchase a reputable brand model.

When you say a water boiler, do you mean an immersion heater?

Sponsored Links
Yes your probably right i should bu a UK made one. It is for an immersion heater yes. Any recommendations for brands.

It might mean No Connection, ( inside the unit ) Hence the Earth can be parked on that teminal.

That said the device's internals are probably a heap of cheap rubbish if the quality of the label is anything to go by.

As far as the original intent of having a timer instead of a switch.
It would be more usual to retain the switch and have a timer as well.

Is the switch remote from the immersion? or
Where does the immersion cable come out of the wall?

At the moment if i want the water boiler on i have to manually switch it on and therefore can not utilise the Economy 7 unless i get up in the middle of the night and press the switch. This is why i want to change it to a timer switch so i can have it on at night so that it its cheaper.

The top picture shows the set up the three old colour are from the mains and the three new coloured ones are from a wire on the element that goes from the boiler into the wall.

At the moment if i want the water boiler on i have to manually switch it on and therefore can not utilise the Economy 7 unless i get up in the middle of the night and press the switch. This is why i want to change it to a timer switch so i can have it on at night so that it its cheaper.
Fair enough but we don't think you should use that timer.

I appears very poor and possibly dangerous.

I agree now that i have read your comments. I will purchase a better one. If you buy the cheapest one you get rubbish that is what i've learnt.

I would not use the timer switch your bought, beside as other have said regarding the NC contact being labeled as earth, I would not trust the labled current ratting of the timer switch shown. Also can find nothing on "k102e".

The red wire is your permanent live feed , the black wire is your permanent neutral feed, the brown wire the switched live to the heater, and the blue wire the switched neutral to the heater.

This or this will do what your wanting. Or this from screwfix if you don't have a TLC near you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back