Help please with disconnecting redundent shed power

Emm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Excuse my lack of knowledge but was wondering if anyone could help me with a question.

I have had my old garden shed knocked down, it used to have a fuse box and a light switch in it but I no longer require electricity outside and as such I now have a (live) power supply cable that runs from my main fuse box through a protective cable along my fence down to my shed. I wish to disconnect this supply completely and from what I can understand I think this is an easy job that I could manage.

My plan is to turn off the power at the mains, then pull out the fuse that contains the wires that run outside, disconnect them and keep the fuse to one side in case I ever have a need for another socket in the house. I am assuming this will make the cable "safe" and I can then dig it up from my garden a dispose of it??

I however could be completely working and it may need an electrician to do the job.

Any help greatly accepted.

Thanks
Em

Sponsored Links
a drawing or sketch might help, need to know where the fuse is. :)

Em, that's fine.

You do need to use a meter or voltage detector to verify that you are pulling the correct fuse and you should check again afterwards that the cable is definitely dead before digging it up.

When you've disconnected live, neutral and 'earth' at the fusebox, remove the cable completely, check all other connections are still secure (You may find one or more conductors shares a terminal in the earth or neutral blocks, for instance) then replace the fuse carrier and fuse so that no live parts are exposed when the cover is replaced.

Dingbat

Thanks that puts my mind at rest but I agree I will check to see if the cable is dead and replace the fuse.

Thanks again.

Em

Sponsored Links
One last question..I think! Any idea where I can buy a voltage detector?? Had a quick look on B&Q website but no luck :(

Ta

Their website search facility is rubbish but they do sell multimeters, which is exactly what you want. Read instructions before using. You could also try any electrical wholesaler, or Maplins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back