Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I have had a leak next to the chimney breast of my house which has resulted in water coming in through the plasterboard and running down the wall in my bedroom which in turn has made the paint bubble and come off see pics.

I think I have fixed the leak I think it was either a hole in the flashing or a small hole in one of the tiles or both of them - but the leak does seem to have stopped and now I am going to replaster both the ceiling and also the wall.

The question I would like to ask is this can I just skim over the existing wall or should I take all the existing wall back to the brick and then use an internal render then skim over the top?

The house is 1800's and the wall in question is prone to penetrating damp so I would rather do the job properly rather than just have a temporary fix.

Any help would be much appreciated

View media item 4546View media item 4545

Sponsored Links
Hi, why has the wall been previously plasterboarded or do you mean staining to the original plaster.From the pics it looks like chemicals from within the chimney brest from 200 years of burning whatever in the fire have infiltrated the stone or brickwork immediately adjacent to the brest.These chemicals ie nitrates, sulphates and chlorates will form hygroscopic salts to all plasterwork and will always cause decoration spoilings if not removed.If plasterboarded rip out and replace, if original plaster cut back to brickwork, correctly waterproofed render and skim finish. Hope this helps

Hi Dave thanks so much for the quick reply.

The wall is original plaster so to do the best job I need to cut it back to brick then use waterproofed render then reskim - thanks

I have reskimmed many walls in the house but have not upto now cut back any plaster to brick and applied render so this will be new for me.

Can I ask what would I use to cut the plaster back to the brick - would it be a chisel and hammer?

And also what would I need to make the render waterproofed - what are the ingredients!!

Regards

Sponsored Links
is the entire remainder of the wall, at and above this wood, a stud wall - ie wooden?

or is this timber sandwiched between brickwork?

:confused:

is the entire remainder of the wall, at and above this wood, a stud wall - ie wooden?

or is this timber sandwiched between brickwork?

:confused:

Just checked and the wood is just the top bit, there is no more above it and I think below its all brick but I will find out once I chip it back I suppose!

I think that plank of wood was there to help support the plasterboard from the ceiling because the plasterboard is on an angle?

the wood getting wet is the reason the plaster has blown so very 'locally'.

the wood will either need covering with plasterboard, spanning at least 150mm either side and then plaster over....

...or fix eml to the wood first and then float and skim the area. the eml, will again, need to span onto the masonry.

Hi again,yep its hammer and bolster time or SDS and chisel bit but watch out for hidden electrics either way. Log on to Safeguard uk for waterproofer and instructions but local builders merchants will stock similar products probably cheaper. Waterproof scratch [ 1st ] coat render but not the 2nd coat. Good luck

Hi again,yep its hammer and bolster time or SDS and chisel bit but watch out for hidden electrics either way. Log on to Safeguard uk for waterproofer and instructions but local builders merchants will stock similar products probably cheaper. Waterproof scratch [ 1st ] coat render but not the 2nd coat. Good luck

Cheers Dave - so if I nip to wickes/jacksons etc they will have the waterproof render?

Does it have a name or do I just ask for waterproof render?

just dont want to go in there and sound really daft and look like a spanner!!

Think I have found what you meant dave.

The waterproof stuff is an additive that you add to the render mix is that right? Found some stuff called renderguard gold.

I was thinking you could buy a bag of render with an additive already in it -lol

So I just need to buy the additive and then make my own render mix with sand/cement and the additive.

What makes a good render mix for this type of job and what type of sand is best.

Found answers all the questions I asked on safeguard website - thanks so much to Dave and noseall I will buy the additive and get at it this weekend

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back