Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of buying a second hand boiler to replace my old Myson Economist. I installed the myson over 25 years ago along with all the rads - pipework etc. I added an extension to the house 20 years ago and it has never really been up to keeping the whole house warm. It has in the main been a reliable boiler just a bit finicky at times however I would like to replace it with a boiler that gives out more heat and that will hopefully sort me out for the next 5 - 10 years - if I am lucky

The system is the traditional one of tank in the loft - water cylinder - pumped with two two valve ports - nothing fancy. I would like to get away with just switching the boilers - connecting the water flows and getting someone in corgi reg to sort out the gas.
I am currently looking at a British gas 330 condensing boiler or a Glowworm, Flexicom Hx 18. - I think the latter maybe too small.
I would be very grateful for any guidance or recommendations as to which boiler might suit my scheme or any steer on if this idea is a no no.

I have a 3 bed house - 3 downstairs rooms - bathroom and kitchen. The myson as you will know provides both heating and hot water - I just want to replicate this.

Thanks for any help Keith

Sponsored Links
I would think carefully, a secondhand boiler can be a headache unless you know 100% it was removed in goog working order,
the few second hand boilers I have installed have been more trouble than they are worth.

You are qualified to do this work, aren't you :?:

To be fair, the OP did say he will use a CORGI fitter - which will go nicely with an old boiler.

OP, a new flue may be require will cost a small packet - if available. Tread carefully

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with easyflow there. Any second hand gas appliance is just a PITA. Unless you know where it has come from you will most likely be buying someone else's headache that is already probably at least one third through its lifespan.
You will also probably find that the system is more likely to be the cause of your problems than the boiler. After 25 years it will probably be well sludged up unless you have been keeping it well treated with inhibitor.
Also if it wasn't too good from the start it may be that some rads were undersized or perhaps have dust restricting air flow through any convectors now which reduces performance

Thanks for your thoughts. The pipework has been flushed/drained pretty regularly over the years and when new the boiler struggled to heat the rads - a professional designer did the spec and layout - not me.
I am not qualified professionally but I am competent - just a thought - whats more risky fixing your own motor or installing a boiler. Thankfully we have not got to the point of banning motor repairs by their owners but I guess it will no doubt come. The biggest issue for me in carrying out the installation is the gas supply and that is covered. The other risk is the electrics and I will use a qualified (friend) electrician. The issue of joint leaks will be down to me.

Yes I have in mind a boiler that I am sure is working - the question then is determining which one. From what I have read on this site the British Gas model is half decent.

Thanks for your guidance Keith

Also worth considering that a second hand boiler may be nicked from a refurb that some poor sod has just had fitted and paid for.

Don't forget that the flue should be done by a gas safe engineer too.

I've done a little research and gleaned that the bg330 is in fact a glowworm flexicom 30Hx
I believe that this is the later of the 2 boilers so may be your best option. I don't do much with glow worms of this era so maybe someone else could give their views on it.

Id leave a 2nd appliance alone. I cannot be arrsed to explain why as I don't have the time. If your budget is that tight, save up for a new one.

ive got an ultracom 24hxi in my lockup, had 3months use, but been sat still for a few years. need to shift it at some point. Although generally would be quite wary of fitting 2nd hand gear.

Regards the BG boilers, the BG330 is a Glowworm 30Hxi and the BG330+ is a flexicom with an Ultracom display panel specially made for BG.
I would not buy a well used HXI or 330, the heat exchanger will probably already be dirty.

With a conventional system the boiler should be sized to the heat loss of a house!

Most three bed semis need about 11-12 kW plus 2 kW towards water heating so 15 kW is all that is needed.

Fitting a 30 kW will cause serious on/off cycling!

Far better to get a boiler which will be correctly sized.

I dont have a big problem with a good used boiler but the model and the example need to be carefully selected!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back