HELP PLS: Boiler, HS Megaflo versus Gledhill Pulsacoil

Sponsored Links
OP Here. Thanks all... so I will fight like hell to keep the megaflo but I'm getting desperate here purely because I can't find any options that would enable me to keep it. Its all so stupid... all this just cos someone fitted the wrong pipe :mad:

The Hep valve was a great plan but it has been ruled out by the builder cos the soil stacks are apparently standard plastic - unless someone can suggest a workaround for that. Can't replace them throughout cos its a 4 storey apartment block and they are in the walls etc.

We're still under NHBC warranty but the NHBC will be happy to accept the Pulsacoil as a replacement as their concern is meeting their standards rather than providing like-for-like quality.

Any more ideas? Maybe there's another type of boiler that would be better than the Pulsacoil as a replacement for the Megaflo. We need something appropriate for the structure of our building, with good quality design and high pressure. Any suggestions? Sorry to come back with more questions.

Cheers again everyone! VERY helpful . :D :D

I think that its generally considered that the temperature will have adequately cooled by the time any discharge gets into the soil stack.

What temperature does your builder think the discharge is at ?

Not all builders are always right.

In fact most of those I hear of have got it wrong, particularly in respect of heating and plumbing.

Tony

I suspect that many people who are dissing the Pulsacoil are thinking of the over-complexity of the units that had an external plate heat exchanger and an electronic pump speed control board.

However, those aren't made anymore. The company that makes the Pulsacoil BP has not gone bust, and is still trading.

The BP uses no special parts except for a blending valve, and even if this isn't reliable it's incredibly easy to replace.

The only reaonsable doubt is over the quality of the cylinder, and I've fitted plenty of indirect Gledhill cylinders that have turned in many years of service, so I don't have any personal reason to doubt the BP cylinder.

The internal coil will scale up in a hard water area, but if you fit a polyphosphate based scale reducing device, such as the Aquadial CombiCare, then you can hugely extend the interval between descalings.

Check the blurb you were given before and during the purchase of the flat - if you have anything in writing regarding the Megaflo, then you should be able to get the builder to accept a condition to provide the same length (25 years) of warranty for the Pulsacoil, just in case Gledhill doesn't (and I'm too lazy to look it up on the Gledhill web site).

Sponsored Links
<an expression of disagreement>

Well, that was just my opinion, so I understand that yours might be different. However, my view is a reasonable one, since nobody has been objective about their criticism of Gledhill vented products.

However, those aren't made anymore. The company that makes the Pulsacoil BP has not gone bust, and is still trading.
It's a fact that Gledhill Water Storage Limited is no longer trading.

The BP uses no special parts except for a blending valve, and even if this isn't reliable it's incredibly easy to replace.
Both of these are statements of fact, not opinion.

The only reaonsable doubt is over the quality of the cylinder, and I've fitted plenty of indirect Gledhill cylinders that have turned in many years of service, so I don't have any personal reason to doubt the BP cylinder.
All statements of fact, not opinion.

The internal coil will scale up in a hard water area, but if you fit a polyphosphate based scale reducing device, such as the Aquadial CombiCare, then you can hugely extend the interval between descalings.
All fact, not opinion.

Check the blurb you were given before and during the purchase of the flat - if you have anything in writing regarding the Megaflo, then you should be able to get the builder to accept a condition to provide the same length (25 years) of warranty for the Pulsacoil, just in case Gledhill doesn't (and I'm too lazy to look it up on the Gledhill web site).
This is my opinion, and an attempt to be helpful to the OP. If you have a different opinion, or a different way of being helpful, then please go ahead and post your information.

Goldberg, Where has the OP stated that the intention is to fit a PulsacoilBP? He merely stated that the builder intended to fit a Gledhill.. So which models have you fitted?

Goldberg, Where has the OP stated that the intention is to fit a Pulsacoil?
Could it be here?

To resolve this, the building company has ruled out replacing the pipework because it would be costly and very difficult for them, and instead wants to replace the unvented Megaflo boilers with Gledhill Pulsacoils, a different type of system.
I think it could.

He merely stated that the builder intended to fit a Gledhill.
He merely did not.

So which models have you fitted?
I fitted Claudia Schiffer, Cindy Crawford, Kate Moss, Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington.

Now tell me you're not impressed.

Sorry dude... Not impressed. I was there before you.

There are a number of different Pulsacoils but being an installer you would know this. For example, the Pulsacoil 3 has a PCB.... Now please show me where the OP stated that the unit to be fitted was to be a BP

Sorry dude... Not impressed. I was there before you.
:)

There are a number of different Pulsacoils
Hmm. Well, there certainly used to be, but now there's just the one.

being an installer you would know this.
I know that there's only the one. How many do you know that there are?

For example, the Pulsacoil 3 has a PCB.
Indeed it does. And so too does the Pulsacoil 2000. And the A Class.

All the OP needs is a time machine to go back and buy a new one.

Now please show me where the OP stated that the unit to be fitted was to be a BP
I can't, because he didn't. However, I never said that he did.

Indeed it does. And so too does the Pulsacoil 2000. And the A Class.

All the OP needs is a time machine to go back and buy a new one.

I don't think that I need a time machine, there is still plenty of old stock available. You can do a google search if you like....

I don't think that I need a time machine, there is still plenty of old stock available.
So, just to recap for the benefit of the OP, you wrote this:

I Thought that Gledhill had gone bust.
...and then didn't offer any more information on Gledhill products, until I wrote this:

I suspect that many people who are dissing the Pulsacoil are thinking of the over-complexity of the units that had an external plate heat exchanger and an electronic pump speed control board.

And then, despite both of knowing that Gledhill had gone bust, you decided to chirp up with this:

Goldberg, Where has the OP stated that the intention is to fit a PulsacoilBP?
...implying that you had it in mind all the time that the OP's builder could buy and fit a product that isn't made anymore, that was manufactured by a company that ceased trading more than a year ago, and that has no manufacturer's warranty.

And by writing this:

There are a number of different Pulsacoils ... For example, the Pulsacoil 3 has a PCB.
...you're suggesting that the OP's builder could use a product that became obsolete more than 10 years ago.

Your suggestions don't stack up, and I don't believe that your motive here is to help the OP.

Do you have any comment to make on the quality of the Pulsacoil BP, i.e. the only Pulsacoil product being made at the moment?

OP Here. Thanks all... so I will fight like hell to keep the megaflo but I'm getting desperate here purely because I can't find any options that would enable me to keep it. Its all so stupid... all this just cos someone fitted the wrong pipe :mad:

The Hep valve was a great plan but it has been ruled out by the builder cos the soil stacks are apparently standard plastic - unless someone can suggest a workaround for that. Can't replace them throughout cos its a 4 storey apartment block and they are in the walls etc.

We're still under NHBC warranty but the NHBC will be happy to accept the Pulsacoil as a replacement as their concern is meeting their standards rather than providing like-for-like quality.

Any more ideas? Maybe there's another type of boiler that would be better than the Pulsacoil as a replacement for the Megaflo. We need something appropriate for the structure of our building, with good quality design and high pressure. Any suggestions? Sorry to come back with more questions.

Cheers again everyone! VERY helpful . :D :D

The soil stack material does not matter, standard plastic is OK, it is only the discharge pipe from the Hepvo trap to the soil stack that needs to be polypropylene, the fluid temperature would of cooled significantly by the time it reaches the soil stack, you should insist that the builder does this, at the end of the day it will be a cost saving for him.

MANY thanks for your very helpful responses.
I've asked the builder to double-check the advice he has received from a heating engineer regarding standard plastic soil stacks, and to provide details of the legislation involved if he continues to say that it would be illegal to fit the hepvo under these circumstances.

Regarding the Gledhill, apologies for not being clear.... they are proposing fitting a Gledhill Pulsacoil PTBP180. As the Gledhills go, is this one of their good ones? I know its a matter of opinion but your opinions are all more informed than mine. I can find very little info online about it other than a pretty weak bit of marketing on the gledhill website, and when I google it I get a lot of links relating to repairs, which is not very reassuring.

I don't have any warranty documentation for the megaflo, unfortunately. None was provided when we bought the place. They don't have a 25 year warranty do they?? I'd be amazed, and it would certainly be a good bargaining tool with the builder.

Thanks again for all of your opinions - all very valuable!

as far as i know gledhill have gone bust.parts availablity in future uncertain.gledhill tech line is £1.00 a minute.
i would get an independant unvented qualified engineer out onsite.

The high grade Duplex stainless steel cylinder offers exceptional strength and corrosion resistance which is backed by a 25 year guarantee. Its performance and insulation levels exceed the latest requirements of Building Regulation Part L.

Above is part of the Megaflo Warranty.

To answer the other question, no, Gledhill store is good news, which is why they are in trouble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back