Megaflo question + redo plumbing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are moving into a home built in 1910. There was a central heating fitted circa 1990. Kitchen was refitted in 1990's. It is a large house and we would like to replace the hot water system with an open vented one such as Megaflo.

A contractor suggested that we redo all the plumbing now as the pressure from an open vented system could damage the current pipes.

Is there anyway to have this checked? Is there an age when houses should be routinely replumbed? As far as we are aware the are no issues with current plumbing.

Can someone advise a ballpark figure on approx what we could expect on cost to install megaflo? Is there any guide on replumbing cost for large 4 bed house? I know this is a how long is a piece of string question, but I would appreciate a 'not less than' answer. This would help us try and work out whether we should even have this on our list considering our budget.

Any suggestion for reliable installers in London would also be appreciated.

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
What is involved has been covered here a gazillion times.

There is no point asking for prices either as we can't see what is involved.

Could be anything from 4 to 5 figures.

London is a big place too where are you? Several of us cover various parts of London.

Thanks for your reply.

Could you advise on whether it is possible to check the piping or whether one has to just assumes that it is too old and may not be able to take the pressure. Pipes are copper.

I did try and search the forum, but have found it hard to find this info.

London NW4

. It is a large house and we would like to replace the hot water system with an open vented one such as Megaflo.

Confusion?

A contractor suggested that we redo all the plumbing now as the pressure from an open vented system could damage the current pipes.
Confusion?

Can someone advise a ballpark figure on approx what we could expect on cost to install megaflo?

6k.

Sponsored Links
. It is a large house and we would like to replace the hot water system with an open vented one such as Megaflo.

Confusion?

Confusion?

Can someone advise a ballpark figure on approx what we could expect on cost to install megaflo?

6k.

What confusion? Do you mean my use of open vented instead of unvented?

Your whole post in general really.

Was down your way yesterday , Haslemere avenue. :p

I've never had to redo all the plumbing in a house when converting to a mains fed system.

Incoming pressure/flow/pipe sizing is key.

If the queries raised by your contractor are more of less verbatim - as Steel has said, he is very confused and not be be allowed within half a mile of your house.

Have you misheard him?

NW4 does have reasonable street pressure from memory, but you could well have a dinky little water main which would need looking at.

Megaflow is a trade name for a product - an overpriced one at that - you are looking for a pressurised system AKA Unvented system.

This can be achieved is several ways.

You must of seen the van floating around Dan? , fook me we get every fookin where. :LOL:

You seen the dents on that van?????? :LOL:

He's just been promoted as of Monday (combustion team supervisor), heaven fookin help us.. :eek: ;)

I think you've got your systems mixed up a Megaflow is Unvented not open vented system. Which means its basicly mains pressured but regulated to 3.5bar.

Open vented system works on head of water , that is the height the water level in the tank is to the highest point in system which typically is lower pressure than a unvented system.

This is probally why your guy is saying it could damage the pipes but i doubt it. If he's worried you that much you can hire a pressure test pump and link it to whatever pipework your worried about.
:arrow:
Basicly you pump water into system manually to a certain pressure , leave for a certain time , check for pressure loss then increase the pressure again to do a final check.

Every fitter has ripped systems out and came accross soldered connections/fittings that have simply fell apart really easily but you cant live with... What if? all the time.

Megaflow cylinder your looking at 1300 plus, with all the controls on it
You can get a Santon Premier plus unvented cyl for alot less money and there really good. These also come with all controls and pipework pre- installed which saves on labour time and sourcing those parts as extras.
https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/...large-main-product-premier-plus-systemfit.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back