Help !! proffesional opinon needed. DRIVEWAYS !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone. I have situation. I live at a property with a shared driveway. During the winter next door decided to get a resin drive way. Since then there has been significant pooling of water at the bottom due to a dam being created by the company that did the resin drive way. The only drainage for the area we share is on their side of the drive and now they have blocked this off so only their side of the drive way will drain away. Before the driveway of both sides was completely level so no issue occurred but now only when the water pooling gets to a certain depth does it overflow onto their part of the drive and drain. Upon waking up this morning someone has drilled a significant amount of holes to drain the water away from my side and I'm worried the effect it will have below the driveway surface. Any advice on potential implications ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not an expert, but that looks like a bit of water on the road.
Possibly those holes will suck up some or all of it depending on what's underneath.
Solution would be a drain or resurface, both costly.

That pooling occurs in a matter of minutes. Before they had the drive way done there was absolutely no issue. Considering it was the neighbours choice to get the driveway done I don't think it should be up to me to get a drain installed or resurfaced because they have isolated the drainage.

Absolutely, but would the neighbour agree to remedial work at their expense after they paid for a new driveway?

Sponsored Links
Well I have brought up the issue to him. He has had the company out to explain the issue but is awaiting a response. In the meantime he has decided upon himself to drill 30+ holes in the driveway (without asking me) hoping it solves the issue. Another neighbour who is a chartered engineer and played a role in construction of the houses has said it was the worst thing he could do.

The driveway company should fix the problem in an ideal world.
But in an ideal world a driveway company would not make this sort of mistakes.

Below is a pic taken from my bedroom so people can understand the driveway set up. The neighbours is to the right. Circled is the only drainage in the area what was more then enough before the resin driveway was installed but now where the driveway starts is now higher stopping flow into the drain. Also visible are the drain holes that he has drilled without asking me first and when he did it I was out of the house all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The driveway company should fix the problem in an ideal world.
But in an ideal world a driveway company would not make this sort of mistakes.
I fully agree they should have seen this issue when doing the driveway.

It's a bit weird that the draining point for the shared road is in his driveway.
So he's raised his driveway making draining impossible.
Most likely the easiest solution would be to add a drain in the road, just out of his driveway.

I reckon your drive could have a new gully and the pipe work could run under the neighbours border and connect to the back of their gully. None of which would damage their resin.

If the water pools further up, set an aco drain in your drive.

Are the holes drilled in the road and not in the new driveway. ? ( I cannot see the image you took from the bedroom )

If they are in the road and the road is a local council maintained road then be ready for some grief from the council.

draining surface water to the ground under a tarmac surface can create mini sink holes allowing the tarmac to drop a couple of inches.

I think the "road" is a shared private driveway. that was my understanding.

the thumbnail is next doors and the new driveway. My house is to the right set 90 degrees to their home. Off the road the driveway is about 20 long meters and leads up to the picture taken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back