HELP: Recovering from a mistake in oiling floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, HUUUGE boo-boo! I was sanding down the stairs and oiling it with SAICOS.

I am sitting here, cleaning my tools while the oil takes effect and pulled off the sandpaper from the sander to find that it is 80 GRIT!! I had not sanded it down to 120 or 240 before the oiling.

I was reading around and there is a post in here saying not to oil at 80 grit, as it increases wear. How do I recover from this with minimal work? Can I resand it tomorrow at the appropriate grit, wipe down with white spirits and re oil? or just leave it?

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I am renting out the property - 2 adults, "3 kids"?

I have only one day left now, to anything if need be. Failing that, I might have to wait 12 months for the next bout of refurbishing.

Regards

How does the first coat look?

(Who told you about 240 grit sanding? That's way too fine and will close the grain of the wood completely. When you want to apply an oil finish, never go finer than grit 120)

Sponsored Links
Hello,
The coat looks matt. This is how I like it. It feels slightly rough to the touch, you can feel the grain.

I have used your SAICOS wax. I was thinking if I should load it with hard waxoil, to balance things off. water seems to go through it easily at this time.

Ahaaaa! I was wondering why I had double the number of 120 and 80 grit, compared to 240. My mistake.

Regards
U

One coat of wax will not make it water repellent, it takes at least three of four coats.
You could lightly hand sand the stair now, just to get the raised grain off and then apply another coat of wax.
Applying hardwaxoil now after there's already wax on it will not work, the oil in the HWO will not be able to penetrate as it should do.

Thank You, I gave it another coat of wax before I left the property (total of two now), and I will give it another two in two weeks when I go back for one last looksy and clean up.

I have left your tins with advice for them to care for the house...

Thanks again for the products and advice, K.

Udhi6

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back