Help replacing 2 2 way 2 gang switches that are labelled different

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I bought new chrome sockets and switches to change in my council flat and am having trouble changing the two two way switches I have. One is near the front door and switches the outside light and the hallway light and the other switches the bathroom light and hallway light but they are labelled up different on the new and the old switch I thought I may have got the wrong one in error any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20220417_115540.jpg
    20220417_115540.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220417_115602.jpg
    20220417_115602.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Ignore how they are labelled.

The switches are both the same - two triangles.

Just transfer the wires.

The new switches will require earthing by connecting to the earth wires in the cables.
As is the problem with most UK (and North American) "Light Switch" plates, some of which "require" Earthing.

However, some countries have advanced in their technologies so much that they now (and for at least 70 years) do have "Light Switches" and "wall plates" which do not "require" Earthing, since these switches/wall plates have no "connections" for Earthing and cannot be Earthed, because there is no need for any such Earthing.

Sponsored Links
However, some countries have advanced in their technologies so much that they now (and for at least 70 years) do have "Light Switches" and "wall plates" which do not "require" Earthing, since these switches/wall plates have no "connections" for Earthing and cannot be Earthed, because there is no need for any such Earthing.

The UK is one such country and the OPs original switches are an example. Trouble is s/he wants to change them.

OP have you got the blessing of the council to interfere with their electrics? If not when you move on you will be (over)charged to reinstate.

Are the original switches still attached?

or

Ha e you got a photo of the old connections?

The "need" for "Earthing" anything associated with "Switch Plates" (or similar) amuses/disturbs us - in countries where such Earthing is not necessary.

If there are no metal pieces accessible by a normal human finger, there is nothing that CAN be Earthed.
If any manufacture (in such countries) chooses to place a (decorative) metallic-looking face-plate over the normal plastic plate, already insulated, so be it.
It is NOT possible to Earth any such decorative "metal plates" in such countries.

The "need" for "Earthing" anything associated with "Switch Plates" (or similar) amuses/disturbs us - in countries where such Earthing is not necessary.
Such earthing is always necessary.
If you are talking about something else then it is not such earthing that is not necessary.

Why does it amuse/disturb you? Do you have plastic cookers?

If there are no metal pieces accessible by a normal human finger, there is nothing that CAN be Earthed.
Obviously - but that is irrelevant in this case.

If any manufacture (in such countries) chooses to place a (decorative) metallic-looking face-plate over the normal plastic plate, already insulated, so be it.
The OP's picture:

upload_2022-4-17_14-17-39.png

It is NOT possible to Earth any such decorative "metal plates" in such countries.
Why not?

Do you mean your circuits do not have CPCs?

To the person that asked for a photo of the original connections its posted with the question and to the other person that asked about reinstating. I can install new fixtures and fittings with the councils permission. If I ever moved out id just swap them back. Also to the person that said just put the wires in the same place are you sure? What about the common wire? Also I knew ypu had to ground the faceplate with a flylead connected to the earth on the backbox. All of the switches are earthed in the backbox I bought some cable to create some fly leads I read that its good practice to earth the switch as well as the backbox

As is the problem with most UK (and North American) "Light Switch" plates, some of which "require" Earthing.

except that if the screws attaching the switch are fastened to a metal back box and there is a fault then the screws where they appear through the front of the switch can become live hence why we earth the metal back box. agreed that the plastic faceplate of the switch doesnt need earthing hence it doesnt have an earth terminal

Also to the person that said just put the wires in the same place are you sure? What about the common wire?
Yes totally. All the terminals are exactly the same and in exactly the same places, the fact the lables are different is completely irrelevant in this case, it's just the way manufacturers have chosen different ways to describe them.

except that if the screws attaching the switch are fastened to a metal back box and there is a fault then the screws where they appear through the front of the switch can become live hence why we earth the metal back box. agreed that the plastic faceplate of the switch doesnt need earthing hence it doesnt have an earth terminal
See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Australian_four_gang_wall_plate.jpg and
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Australian_four_gang_wall_plate_-_cover_removed.jpg
for photos of the typical switches/switch-plates in question (With and Without the Cover Plate.)

With the Cover Plate the screws are not accessible.
Without the Cover Plate, the screws are still not accessible (except with a tool), because the screws are set in a small diameter hole, too deeply to be touched by an adult human finger. (6 mm deep)

Further, "back boxes" are used only in missionary walls (since there they are necessary) - and, these days, they are usually plastic. (https://hpm.com.au/product/standard-wall-box/ )
The older metal boxes were not earthed, because the construction of the switch plates and socket-outlets did not require earthing.
(However, some present day metal wall boxes do have an earthing terminal (https://hpm.com.au/product/wall-boxes-fire-120-120-and-acoustic-rated/ )

In "plaster board" walls, the switch plates are often affixed to Mounting Clips, which "crimp" over the edge of the cut-out in the plaster-board (https://hpm.com.au/product/mounting-clips-for-6-4mm-plasterboard/ ) These "clips" are not earthed.
(If the wall plate is later removed for any reason, there is a risk of the Mounting Clip falling off and down the inside of the stud wall. Hence, it is good practice to apply rubber adhesive or silicone between the mounting plate and the back of the plaster board to prevent such a "nuisance" from happening in the future.)

Non-earthed "Mounting Brackets" are affixed to "studs" during building construction (https://hpm.com.au/product/mounting-bracket-horizontal-stud-mount/ )

Socket-outlets with a (non-earthed) metal cover plate are shown in https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...Metal_Cover_-_(plus_an_additional_switch).jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back