Help Replacing a Shower Tray

Sponsored Links
From what’s left of it, it certainly looks like plasterboard & a bit messy probably been weakened by water damage. You will need to remove more tiles back to sound plasterboard (if there is any) & replaced with waterproof backer board. Use Aquapanel as it's 12.5mm thick the same as PB. You must provide additional support accros the studs for the edges of the old PB & new board where it joins. Tape the joints & make sure they donlt line up with tile joints.

TBH, you’d do better to rip the lot out & start again but never use plasterboard in a wet area, even Moisture Resistant, unless you tank it. Far better to use a waterproof tile backer board though.

Check for water damage to the studs, there is no point in fixing new boards to rotten timber!

hi, thanks for the reply.

From what’s left of it, it certainly looks like plasterboard & a bit messy probably been weakened by water damage.

i thought it's because of ripping the tiles?

You must provide additional support accros the studs for the edges of the old PB & new board where it joins. Tape the joints & make sure they donlt line up with tile joints.

would that be possible without ripping more tiles?

is this what you mean by lining up

TBH, you’d do better to rip the lot out & start again but never use plasterboard in a wet area, even Moisture Resistant, unless you tank it. Far better to use a waterproof tile backer board though.

if i decide to rip the whole thing, any recommended waterproof backer boards and I'm assuming they won't need tanking.

how it currently looks:

Sponsored Links
i thought it's because of ripping the tiles?
Probably but not usual unless a very good tile adhesive has been used. TBH, from your latest pics, it doesn’t look that bad behind there & probably salvageable.

would that be possible without ripping more tiles?
Normally it would involve removing more tiles but, with plaster board, there is always the risk you will just move the problem further up the wall. As a quick & dirty fix, you could stick a lump of plasterboard behind the existing with a good dose of grab adhesive which will then give you something to stick the new backer board onto where they join.

if i decide to rip the whole thing, any recommended waterproof backer boards and I'm assuming they won't need tanking.
I use Aquapanel but any of the proprietary waterproof backer boards will do you as long as they are around 12mm thick &, no, they don’t need tanking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back