Help required in relation to neighbours building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this maybe a very stupid question, but I bought (as classed on the deeds) a detached house. This is a bungalow type, where the wall with the neighbour goes up to the boundary (there are other houses in the same road which are similar). My neighbour has extended his house considerably large loft extension etc, but he has also extended up to and onto my wall. It seems like initially this was a kind of lean too type extension, but this week he has started adapting this to be a more formal structure (he has told my husband he is plastering it this week, and there is lots of banging etc which sounds like work onto my wall.

So my question is this, is it allowed to build from his house onto mine, as effectively now it looks like a semi detached, rather than a detached. We have an additional problem in that there is water seeping into the wall somewhere as there is a noticable damp problem on my side that needs to be addressed.

Any thoughts?

The house has been rented for a few years, and we have only just taken possession after being out of the country for 4 years. I dont want to cause problems with the beighbour, but it seems strange that this would be allowed throught he planning process.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
There's no way that he can use any part of your wall for his building purposes. Get in immediate touch with him, your planning authority and anyone else you can think of. You might even have to consider a court injunction to effect an immediate stop to his mischief. Even if he has already used your wall you can demand that he dismantles what he's built and make good all damage he has created.

If his extension is connected to yours, they should have a party wall act document with you. This is where I would start, get a party wall surveyor involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back