Help required re radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I recently moved into a ground floor flat and the heating was working fine, but recently, 2 of my radiators have went cold. The problem started after i turned them down individually using the thermostat on them, but when i tried turning them back up to full power, nothing happened. I have tried bleeding them but i'm getting a thin jet of clear water from the bleed valve, but no heat. Please, someone help me!

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though the valves have stuck shut. You might clear them by closing all other valves, so the pump puts all it's pressure on these two and forces them open. Otherwise, you could try taking the heads off and pushing the pins down firmly with a hard object, eg hammer head, repeatedly. Don't hit them with a hammer, it's not fair, how would you like it?

Lol, i wont be too nasty! But to be honest, i dont really understand what you mean, not really clued up on the jargon. Dont really want to fork out needless cash, but i may have to!

ricarbo said:
It sounds as though the valves have stuck shut. You might clear them by closing all other valves, so the pump puts all it's pressure on these two and forces them open. Otherwise, you could try taking the heads off and pushing the pins down firmly with a hard object, eg hammer head, repeatedly. Don't hit them with a hammer, it's not fair, how would you like it?

Lol, i wont be too nasty! But to be honest, i dont really understand what you mean, not really clued up on the jargon. Dont really want to fork out needless cash, but i may have to!

Yeah, just cut out all that jargon and talk english! However in order to help I have de-jargonised this complete mess of a sentance:-

Shut = closed
To close = To shut off (see shut)
Pressure = a force acting on something
Pump = a spinny thing making a forcy thing
Pins = little metal objects
Repeatedly = over and over and over again
Hammer = a tool used to hit things, sometimes pins, sometimes repeatedly

Hope that helps to disentangle (unravel) this horrible (bad) mess

Sponsored Links
Tried closing all radiators apart from the problem 2 but only change is my boiler has started , well, making louder boiling noises. Still no heat. Oh and thanks for disentangling my stella induced confusion bodger! Where are those pins and heads you talk about? Are they part of the adjustable thermostat or at the other side of radiator under white cover? If so, this doesnt look like a 'pin', Thanks in advance.

Unscrew the head of the valve and you will expose the body. There will be a pin of some sort which should slide in and out.

In it's fully in position, the valve is shut. So, try freeing it up.

ArtfulBodger said:
Unscrew the head of the valve and you will expose the body. There will be a pin of some sort which should slide in and out.

In it's fully in position, the valve is shut. So, try freeing it up.
... but don't try pulling it, because if it comes out then it's bad news.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back