Help....Scantronic 9800+ Alarm

Thank you sparkymarks. Does the alarm box have a trip switch? Will it sound the alarm when I remove the cover? I want to minimise the risk or length of time the external alarm sounds since I do not want to upset the neighbours.

The prevoius owner insists he has given me the right code. I enter it and press A but there is no response. I have tried pressing clear first as well. I also tried entering the wrong code once to see if that gave a response ( hoping it would not set the alarm off which it did not). The power and day lights are both on. A light on a movement sensor flashes when I move in front of it so the system seems to be enabled. It used to be connected to the telephone line with a connection to the Police. This was removed by the previous owner since I wanted to change the phone contract. Can you think of anything else I could try or am doing wrong?

The system has a fairly resent service sticker on it so it should work. I am reluctant to call the company out to fix it (assuming something is wrong) in case it turns out expensive. They quoted £105 + VAT for the first hour and it could take longer to reset and reprogram the system if it is working. Could there be a master switch to disarm it or would that give a code on the panel? I guess the keypad could be faulty but it used to work just before I moved in. The previous owner used to set it after each viewing.

Sponsored Links
scantronic panels normally go into keypad tamper after 21 wrong key presses so be carefull, is it the old keypad ith the small grey keys and flip down cover ? there should be a fuse spur at the side of the panel.

Yes. Can you think of any reason why it does not respond to the code if the code is right as the previous owner insists it is?

Sponsored Links
What is actually on the RKP now?
It may be locked out and require an engineer reset anyway. Opening it will cause a local alarm, not an external one. Unless you remove the power and the battery is dead.
Without the information asked it is difficult to assist any further.

Most key presses do not make any noise but some do. I think pressing the B and C keys made a noise. The user code followed by A did not make a noise for any of the key presses. I am at work now and will have to check when I get back.

The RKP just has the power and day lights on. I have never seen anything else on it. The alarm box has a slight hum so it is powered which is really confirmed by the sensor in the living room lighting when I move in front of it.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

To clarify a bit more. Pressing clear then entering the code then pressing A does not produce any response. There are still just the power and day lights lit. No error code.

At the moment I would be satisfied just to disable the alarm completely then worry about getting the system working again. My fear is setting it off and not being able to stop it without turning the mains off and waiting for the batteries to go flat.

There is a small box near the alarm and in some bedrooms with a red button and a mechanical key. I was told they are panic alarms. I can not see anything else that looks like a master override switch.

thats your problem the 9800 keypads where shocking for the keys playing up, each key press should have a click noise thats why your code not working you need to get some one out to have a look at it, you may get away with having the keymat cleaned out (keypad needs to be taken apart) thats why the 9800 plus keypads still fetch good money. but thats can still be so so. hope this helps

Thank you sparkymarka. I am an electronic engineer so I should be able to clean the keypad and bridge any cracked tracks with solder and fine wire. I guess as soon as I open the RKP the alarm will go off though.

I can not see anywhere to turn the mains power off from the RKP.

Can you see a solution without upsetting the neighbours other than calling out the alarm company?

What would an engineer do if the alarm went off and the RKP was not working?

Can I test the keypad is communicating with the alarm box by disconnecting the alarm box mains power and seeing a fault code on the RKP without the alarm sounding?

What do the locks / keys for the panic buttons do?

I guess it is getting to the time when I have to try doing something myself, call an engineer out or forget about it.

if it was me i would open the end station ( metal box ) if there is a speaker connected just disconnect one leg in the panel thats will leave the keypad sounder bleeping ( not as loud ) remove the keypad + in the panel all should be quiet remove key pad from wall disconnected wires +/- and sig, if i remember there are two screws fixing the keypad pcb to the front case, remove and then you have to carefully prise the pcb out, remove rubber mat clean carbon circles on the mat with some kitchen roll they may look shiney you have to get them back to a matt colour, you can buy a re carbon kit but try cleaning first give the keypad pcb a wipe over on the key tracks and re assemble rewire at keypad put it back into back plate and re connect the + in the panel try your code.

if it was me i would open the end station ( metal box )

Is this the box with the main alarm circuit, battery and lots of wires conected to sensors and the alarm sounder on the outside of the house?

Will opening it set off the main alarm on the outside of the house?
There is also a smallish alarm sounder inside the house near the metal box.

At the moment I just want to disable it. I will worry about getting it working again later but am worried about what to do if it goes off now or when I try and do anything with it.

Do I do the following.
1) Turn off mains power to alarm box (there is a switch on the main fuse box labelled alarm which it is near to and an external fuse in a square plastic box just outside the alarm box).
2) Open the alarm box (four philips screws if I remember).
3) Find the battery and take off one lead (+ve I guess is best).

But I guess at some point the main alarm will sound if it has its own battery which you informed me it has. How can I stop it?
How does the alarm tell it not to sound?
I have the manual with the wiring diagram to the terminals. Are there any signals that can be disconnected to stop it? Or disconnecting one alarm wire and connecting it to GND or +12V (is the battery is still connected)?

If the keypad is not working I could not even remove and replace the NV memory and enter the default code. I presume the internal alarm will sound as well and the alarm in the keypad.

I know some of the questions might help a burgular. I can assure you it is my house but obviously I can not prove it. In any case I would expect any burgular that really wants to know would have got hold of a box and worked it out anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back