Help! Shower just broke - Mira 415.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!

I can't turn my shower on enough for a shower, but nor can I turn it off! Water is just running out of the showerhead and I can't turn the knob at all without it feeling like it's lost its thread (best description I can come up with). I've had a drip for a while, which has been getting steadily worse, and the knob has been a bit stiff to turn, but this is a full blown stream of water. I've turned the water off now. You can probably smell me from there!

I can't afford a new shower (hence putting up with the drip). I think it's a mixer shower and runs off my combi boiler. To make matters worse, the tiling has been done over (it's two layers of tiles) where the cold and hot water pipes come out of the wall and are fixed to the shower unit, so I'll need to replace it cheaply with one which is the same size at the connecting points. I've found a second hand Mira 415, although it doesn't look exactly the same as mine but pretty similar.

Does anyone know if all Mira 415's are the same size and all are suitable for a combi boiler? My dad says to 'mention the pressure'. Does that matter? I think it's high pressure that I have. Aren't Dads great!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pam

Sponsored Links
Based on the information so far I would say that you need to service the valve.

Mira sells a kit for this purpose:

]

cartridge has failed by the sound of it
readily available from plumb center, about £90 if i remember correctly.
easy to fit just turn the water off first or wear a mac :LOL:

vvvvvvvv as i said it was a long time ago and i can't remember every price! better to over estimate LOL :LOL:

If you paid more than £50 for a 415 cartridge then they saw you coming and threw a party afterwards.

Sponsored Links
kevindgas said:
as i said it was a long time ago
At no [previous] point did you say that anything was a long time ago.

and i can't remember every price!
Nor can I, which is why I look them up.

better to over estimate LOL :LOL:
No it isn't - it's better to be accurate or else not post prices to all.

Last edited by kevindgas on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total
Adding a comment to an earlier post makes for difficult reading and potential confusion.

Just a quicky. I wanted to say thanks to you guys who replied. I went to a Plumbers Merchant, fully intending to say I needed what you'd said I needed, but 'I have no idea' came out!! I explained my problem to the bloke behind the counter and three plumbers waiting there had a discussion and agreed with what you'd said. Then they had another discussion and suggested I buy a cheap Revelle shower valve to replace my Mira. They showed me how it went together, explained what I'd need to do etc, and I have tonight fitted it - no leaks, no drips, two clean children and one clean mum, all for £61 and a bit of frustration doing it.

My reason for writing now is just to say thanks (again!) because had you not given me a bit of knowledge, which gave me the confidence to at least walk in the shop, I would still be without water and wondering how I could sort the problem out without a hefty bill to pay. I never play the 'poor single mum, poor me' as everyone has something to deal with, and nobody owes me anything, but it is hard knowing where to turn for sound help and advice. You guys, and the ones in the shop, are ace. THANK YOU!

Pam

Don't applaud - just throw money. :D

Seriously though, you deserve credit for taking the initiative and for actually doing the work.

Does the Revelle shower valve have in integrated pressure equalisation Valve? The 415 does and one is essential for combi operation.

I have no idea!! I looked it up and it says 'Suitable for combination boilers. Sequential flow and temperature control'. It works fine so I hope it's OK!

Pame1a said:
I have no idea!! I looked it up and it says 'Suitable for combination boilers. Sequential flow and temperature control'. It works fine so I hope it's OK!

With a pressure equalisation valve, when the hot or cold is turned on elsewhere robbing flow/pressure to the mixer, there is a slight glitch in temperature and the valve adjusts to the new lower pressure and a lower flow but the temperature goes back to normal. The only way you will tell is be in the shower and have some one turn other taps off and on. You will soon know.

If this the Revelle model that has adjustable lateral connections?

You lost me at lateral connections I'm afraid. It's a Deva Revelle RVL116.

I very rarely use the shower at the same time as something else is running as I had that problem at my last house and old habits never die I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back