Help...soil pipe cracked...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few days ago i noticed that the concrete around the soil pipe where it goes under the ground by the side of the house had started to collapse...

So i lifted some up a few hours ago and had a look...( wish i hadn't !! )

The old metal pipe ( ex council house ) where it goes under the concrete about 4 inches fitted on to a clay pipe with a collar which then takes the waste water to the drain. The collar of the clay pipe has snapped off about three quarters of the way around leaving an inch gap between the 2 pipes where the water is coming out of every time u flush...( and other little prizes are coming out..ugh ! why me.. )

and now the question.....Can i get a collar to bridge the gaps between the 2 pipes...Can anyone give me a link or picture of what it looks like or even a part number...
Thanks in advance for any advice....

i took a picture to post up but can't get it on here..![/img]

Sponsored Links
you will have to dig it up to explore all the damage and remove the damaged parts.

You can get a socket that can be mortared onto a clay pipe if you can level up the broken end e.g. with a grinder

you can get a double plastic socket joint that can be slid up and down the new section of plastic soil pipe that you want to splice in (if you can't get the sliding one, you can chip out the depth stop ring inside).

You will probably find that all the drainpipes and gullies around the house are broken in the same way.

The contaminated soil needs to be disposed of. I would be inclined to refill the hole with shingle or ballast when you have finished.

It is possible to repair clay pipes and sockets with mortar using waterproof unibond, but I don't suppose this is a very good method. the break has probably been caused by the house moving relative to the ground, due to either subsidence or wartime bomb damage.

Cheers hi spec , just found the perfect collar on that site...got a big bag of rapid set earlier and delivery is tomorrow...and thanks for posting up how to put pics on lol..

much appreciated mate..Cheers

Sponsored Links
the flexible 5in to 4 in plastic to clay... its the best one for what i need..

Once i backfill with rapidset it should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back