HELP Split under purlin. ..urgent attention required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was in the loft and noticed a long crack pretty much all the way along the under purlin to the front elevation of the property. It's a deep crack, about 2cm deep and about 8mm wide... see the attached photos how the roof structures down pressure weight has I beleive resulted in the purlin cracking in half and deflecting. I've lined up a straight peice of metal in the photos and you can see how the roof structure has bent and cracked the purlin all the way along its length.

I'm getting a new roof installed in 4 weeks as the tiles and membrane are shot so should I take the opportunity to get some repairs done to this??...is it dangerous as it is or needing urgent engineering attention.

Advice much appreciated!! (Note last photo is upside down!)

Sponsored Links
I would not bother replacing it unless you are loading tiles on a slate roof.

That is a shake and nothing to worry about

Sponsored Links
That is a shake and nothing to worry about

Thanks guys this is reassuring. I'm replacing roman pan tile like for like so weight should be similar.

I didn't realise a shake could result in the purlin splitting in half to this degree and deflecting so that it's face is no longer flush and uniform. It's amazing how wood retains so much structural strength.

My concern also came because there are two under purlin to each elevation (there is another at high level), where again the front elevation one has split and deflected but the other elevations look intact. It's odd why it's only on the front elevation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back