Help stopping noise from rain on tin roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a problem with my studio. It is an old tin airplane hanger and the noise from rain on the tin is so noisy we can not make any movies because of this. The shape of my unit is a typical rounded airplane hanger.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what we could put on top of the roof to eliminate the noise or make it a lot quieter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

Sponsored Links
unfortunatley you will be talking several thousand pounds for a physical barrier on the outside or an acoustic barrier on the inside :oops: :oops:

perhaps a sound proof booth off perhaps 4x4m with sound deadening will meat your needs a lot cheaper

build a cabin inside the shell. This would also solve your insulation problem in the other post.

Lightweight concrete blocks would do, and you don't even need to provide gutters or tiles since it is indoors.

great minds think alike john my edit is a similar idea lol :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I will take a look in to your suggestions and contact a sound proofing website.

Would a material like long fake grass on the outside soften the harsh sound?

Thanks for your help guys

James

Get the roof structure assessed to see if it's suitable for a green roof.

Get the roof structure assessed to see if it's suitable for a green roof.

Probably not due to two things ... curved roof and gravity ;)

I wonder is this is one of those times (the only time?) when that horrible spray foam roof insulation may be useful?

I'd go along with the inner isolated room suggestion

Woody, on the subject of the *cough spit* spray foam insulation, had a call last week from someone who wanted to know if we did clay tile coating as his roof is past it's best (yeah, that tends to happen to 80 year old roofs) but did also mention that he'd had it recently spray foamed!

Some people really do not help themselves eh lol

Hi all, I have a problem with my studio. It is an old tin airplane hanger and the noise from rain on the tin is so noisy we can not make any movies because of this. The shape of my unit is a typical rounded airplane hanger.

James
Have a word with Nissan :idea: they made those type of huts. Or even google " hangar " ;)

our Nissan hut was covered in tar, do not remember it being noise

What you are referring to are Nissen Huts ! . :LOL:

They were designed by Major Peter Norman Nissen of the 29th Company, Royal Engineers and have nothing to do with Nissan.

Reminds me of that old Japanese/German beer Datsunbrau ! ! . ;)

not a lot of difference between the car and the hut apart from the hut lasts longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back