Help to change kitchen lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need help! I want to change my kitchen light for halogen spots. I have bought 12 x 50w -hubby said too bright and too much. Kitchen is 12 x 12.
What's the norm? I have a dimmer.
We are going to have to put a false ceiling in because we can't get access to do the job.
any help, advice would be very helpful :confused:

Sponsored Links
12x12 what? centimetres? bananas? monkeys?

for that much lighting you need a 1200 watt dimmer - very expensive.

if the room is 12 feet square, you dont need that much lighting. Half it, then you are nearer the mark.

A couple of florescents(5'/6'), be nice and bright, and won't cost the combined national debt of the third world to run (in electricity and replacement lamps)

Sponsored Links
PartPapproved said:
Yes but floresents look s..t!
its not your place, they might like them, then again there are always compact flourescents

If you mean 12 lamps at 50w each, that is too much. It's 600w of light, I bet you just had a single 100w bulb before!!!!

With spots and doenlighters in that size of room, I reckon 4 lamps at 50w is ample. You can have one pointing at the sink, one at the cooker, and a couple at the work sufaces. If you eat at a kitchen table, I'd look for something softer and more homely over it.

If you really want to use 12 lamps, then you need a lower wattage.

PartPapproved said:
Yes but floresents look s..t!

variousthorns.jpg

Thanks for all that. It was feet not bananas!
We have a halogen culry strip thingy at the minute and there isn't enough light in my nooks and crannies!!
We have looked at the new flourescent lights and they don't do it for me.
i have a plasterer who has done loads jobe for us before and he's only charging me £200 for the whole ceiling bit, so the job won't be that dear.
We are going to take some of the back to shop and reduce the lights so we wont drain the electricity for the whole country! :D

if its getting light into the nooks and cranies you are concerned about may i suggest you "aquire" one of these.

Low%20Head%20110v%20Lamp%20amsa%201.jpg

the light stands still but the lenses move

amd believe it or not, lighthouses only have 1000w lamps, and now due to gps even these are being changed to smaller lamps

if you want dichroics in your kitchen anddont want 50w lamps in, why not install 20w low voltage lighting ......... say about 6, 2 lines of 3 and that only works out at 120w and they can still be dimmable and you spread the light out............and yes flourescents are cr*p especially in domestic dwellings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back