Help to identify heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved to this house recently and going through a bit of renovation.

Can anyone tell me based on the attached photos what system I have at the moment and if is worth to strip it down and install a combi boiler.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200308_175258.jpg
    20200308_175258.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 326
  • 20200308_175303.jpg
    20200308_175303.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 20200308_175311.jpg
    20200308_175311.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 329
Sponsored Links
Not Really as you've only posted a picture of the water cylinder and a timer. I can tell you its "probably" a heat only boiler, open vented cylinder on a 3 port valve. But with no picture of the boiler we've no idea how old the boiler will be or how its operating.

Looking at it, its probably an old cylinder and likely the system will be too. Whether you want to change to a combi will depend on a number of factors.

1. If its old radiators and pipework, and its an open vented system (at a guess it is) a combi could apply 4 or 5 times the pressure on the system than you currently have which could cause leaks if the whole lots not renewed at the same time.

2. Are you more concerned about the performance of your hot water or saving space in the cupboard? A combi could clear the compartment an get rid of that cylinder, but will never equal the performance of a cylinder (water flow rate/temperature)

3. do you have enough mains pressure/flow rate for a combi or mains cylinder (unvented cylinder) to work correctly?

Personally I prefer to have a hot water cylinder than a combi, typically more reliable and had the advantage of electical immersion back up heater for the hot water should the boiler fail. But every house is different and what you actually want performance/efficiency wise go a long way to deciding what you should install if anything at all is needed at the moment, but a full assesment by a reputable installer will be required to see what the options are

I would say Y Plan, likely both DHW and CH are controlled by the one motorised valve with a programmer to switch on/off as required.

However beyond that can't say.

I would agree with @ScottishGasMan personally I would fit a room thermostat which is programmable but much depends on house, boiler and life style.

you have a Y plan open vented system,whether you would be better with a combi completely depends on your Hot water requirements

Sponsored Links
Yeah, Thanks for your input, after checking what you suggest I can confirm is an open vented system with water tank on the loft.

My question now is because this is setting in the middle of a bedroom and planning to free some space upstairs. Would you suggest to go for a easy to fix combi boiler or unvented system?

I know if I have 2 bathroom the pressure drops etc etc.

the best option seems to be the unvented system. Does anyone know how big need to be the tank for a 3/4 bedroom and 2 bathroom house? I may think to stick it under the stair if tank does not need to be massive.

On a last note. What would be the cost increase moving from combi boiler to unvented system?

Energy efficiency? is the unvented system energy efficiency like combi boiler considering will use the boiler to warm the water and not the energy plug?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back