Help to size framing for flat roof extension. Beam calcs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to extend to the rear of a brick garage.

Rather than use polycarbonate roofing (which may be easier) I am considering using a timber frame to support the flat roof, so the roof area can be insulated.

The framing will need to support the weight of the flat roof. I can calculate joist sizes from span charts. i.e 47x145 @ 600 centres etc

But how can the sizing be calculated for the timber columns/posts, for the part that is carrying the ends of the roofing joists?

The diagram shows a 4.4m and 4.8m span, interim supports can be added to reduce this, but prefer to keep to a minimum as this area will be glazed with upvc units.

What sizing would others suggest for the base framing.

Sponsored Links
You would really need to find out the loads been applied to the frame 1st.

If your having Glazed UPVC units supported off the frame you will need to find the weight of them as well.

The only loading to the frame is from it own flat roof.

The upvc units sit on the brick skirt/foundation so do not impose a loading on the frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back