Help-tortoise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday afternoon a tortoise came strolling down the path in our back garden. Small and lively, it went and nuzzled in a corner of the patio. We have a field at the side of us and foxes are regular visitors - so we gave it board and lodging for the night. It was secure outside in it's box with a secure top covering three quarters of the top and netting over the whole enclosure. We have asked neighbours and nobody seems to know who it belongs to.

Do we
Keep it for a week to see if we can find out who owns it or
Phone the RSPCA and get them to pick it up.

We don't want to keep it and looking on the internet for tips, they are really expensive £175-£250.

What happens if it's cooler tonight, should we take it in? We have it in an enclosure with grass, water, lettuce and shelter in a cardboard box with soft grass bedding. What else do we feed it with? Took it for a walk on the lawn today as it seemed a bit lively and then it stopped and sunbathed for a while and then headed back to it's enclosure.

Someone must be gutted if they lost it - any USEFUL :evil: suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
ad in the local paper and the local petshop?

ask at your local vet, T's are not too common these days.

watch out for any non-owner trying to get it.

They like to wash their faces as their eyes can get gummed up during hibernation.

I would keep it for awhile and put an ad in the local shop. There not the fastest of things :LOL: so it must belong to someone near by.

This is one of our worries - people coming forward because tortoises are rare. It is a shame it is a lovely pet I should imagine for someone - a very sad loss. Good idea about note in vets.

Does anyone know if they are OK when the weather changes and it gets cooler? Wasn't expecting to babysit this weekend, but don't want it feeling too cold - should it be inside if it's colder?

Does it want anything other than the garden and lettuce and water? They are vegetarian. Problem is the garden isn't secure, so it has to be watched when it's on the move - if it disappeared, it could be anywhere - the fox might be pleased, but no one else.

Sponsored Links
webdiet16.jpg

sweet :)

nelsy said:
We don't want to keep it.

Stick it in the Microwave for 3 minutes at night - they make great substitutes for hot water bottles....

PLEASE NOTE. THIS IS A JOKE. I DO NOT ADVOCATE CRUELTY TO ANY LIVING THING.

yes, much faster than you would think. i bet its a fake tortoise, and its remote control really

Well it had a good night, comfortable bedding, assortment of greenery and fresh water,but where is the sun today? It really is nearly as quick as the one in the video - only small. You couldn't just leave it on the lawn - it's off under bushes, up onto patio, back on the grass - stops for a sunbath and then off again - needs a dog lead. If we hear nothing today, we might try knocking on some doors from the possible direction it could have come from tomorrow morning. It is now in the conservatory keeping warm - need to get some watercress - Markie - thanks for the web link - not partial to iceberg lettuce it says - some plants poisonous..... no heat... no sun - harder than rearing kids - didn't need this for a bank holiday weekend!!!!

maybe it's searching for a mate.

pics please?

I feel really bad...from something I didnt do about a week ago...a rather large tortoise had come up from the creek and started across the main road...I saw it and it was nearly across...I came sooooo close to getting out and putting it on the grass..but decided against it....bad choice.....
coming back....I saw that it probably couldnt get up on the curb to the grass, so started back to the water...got half way across the road...and met his/her maker. I have been guilt ridden ever since...it was a large one too. I see box turtles often here at the house....nothing as big as that (road warrior) one.
fyi....in the wild, they are like the deer...they wont eat poisonous plants...they have a survival instinct built it....just not quick enough for traffic :(

Sponsored Links
Back