HELP!!two radiators not heating propely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just turned boiler, pump off etc.. drained a system down removed a radaitor capped off the pipes, filled back up turned the boiler on etc.. aired. 3 radiators are really hot like normal but two get hot at he top middle and bootm cold and then that hot at the top gets luke warm and the bottom doesnt heat up? it was fine before i touched it? any ides any one?

Sponsored Links
how would that be getting in do you think? and i cant work out why the top is getting luke warm but not the bottom? thanks

it would be getting in cause you drained the system and may have air thats got stuck in the pipework

Sponsored Links
i thought this so drained some more water out aired the pump and rads,could air be getting in the stop ends there push fit but no leaks on them?or any other ideas how to get rid of air?

they will be ok.
shut the other rads and put pump on full speed and all the flow will go to that rad.

what will that do?(just like to know what happens), and what do i do after that

Sounds like an air lock.
Simply turn on the heating system as normal, shut down all the rads that are hot.
This will push the air through the system and the rads will slowly get hotter.
Once the cold rads get hotter, open the other rads gradually (not fully)
until they get hot too.
This is called balancing the system.
It should work.

**** advert removed - please see forum rules *****

sorry one more thing if it was a airlock how do the top of the two cold rads get hot at the begining?could it not be the drain down affected the sludge and it needs power flushing

can be sludge moved.
but sometimes you get air trapped then switching system on moves the air traps it somewhere else and stops the flow or return.

so if fully pumping one rad doesnt work would the answer be the sludge?

It may be worth putting in a chemical to de sludge any mess in there.
Sentinel X400 Sludge remover can be purchased from any reputable plumbing merchant.
You simply add this to the system when half empty, then fill the system back up, and let it circulate for a couple of weeks.
You then need to drain down to remove the sludge.
A lot cheaper than a power flush.
Always remember to put an inhibitor into the system to protect it afterwards too.
I suggest Sentinal X100, but Fernox Inhibitor will be as good.
Simply add this to the system, once you have got rid of all the sludge, and this will protect it from building up again.
I hope this helps...

**** advert removed - please see forum rules *****

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back