Radiator cold at the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our radiator in our living room is only luke warm at the bottom and boiling hot at the top. The pipe into the TRV valve is only slightly warm and the lockshield valve is boiling hot. We had the radiator refitted after some plastering around October last year. The radiator is the closest one to the boiler too. Anyone got any ideas please or do I need to get someone in to look at it?

Sponsored Links
Is your TRV bi directional? It is obviously on the return. Are you sure the TRV is fully open?
Is your lockshield fully open?

I’m not sure if the TRV is bidirectional, I’ve taken a photo if that helps? Will check the lockshield - if I try and open that further will the rest of the system need balancing?
F08FAF4B-9011-42DA-8F36-A8D1A933D038.jpeg

Sponsored Links
plumbcentre bulldog valve bi directional ...
open lockshield fully then turn off all your other rads and leave this one on by itself for about half hour then open the others back up .

Unscrew the top of the TRV (big knurled chrome nut)
There should be a pin in the middle of the fixed part. Make sure it springs up and down a few mm. They can partly stick. You should eg be able to bounce a small hammer on it.

Bidirectional TRVs often muck about when on the return. It's worth swapping them if nothing else works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back