HELP ! Velux Window Nailhole Leak Nightmare !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Velux skylight (GVA-091) which is leaking. According to the roofer, it is leaking because it was installed incorrectly, with a nail having been hammered through the flashing to pin it to the roof, rather than being screwed in (which would be a waterproof fixing). He is telling me that the whole thing needs to be replaced (flashing is integral to window, unlike more recent modular types) and because it needs to be done from outside, it means scaffolding...........drumroll......wait for it.......£648+VAT !!!!!

So I have to pay a month's wages because some numpty used a nail instead of a screw !! Is there really no way to simply patch or plug the damn thing somehow, from the inside (the window is accessible from indoors) ? Can't the flashing material be glued/melted or somehow fixed ? Any help MUCH appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Put a dob of sealer over the pin head, and/or perhaps put a sheet of aluminium or copper over the whole length of the side to cover the pin. Or tell us where the pin is.

The slater said he could do a patch job, but since the main cost of the job is going to be scaffolding I might as well do a permanent fix - ie a new window. If indeed the job has to be done from outside then I agree with him, because I'd rather do that than risk another leak - but if the job can be done by a bloke on a stepladder poking him upper body through the skylight, then surely a sealant fix should be easy ! No ?

Maybe remove the pin, nail etc
Then slowly fill the hole with super glue ensuring each layer has gone off before next layer :idea:

Sponsored Links
blewyn said:
If indeed the job has to be done from outside
Can it not be done by taking the velux opening window out from the inside and work from there?

get a tall pair of steps and do it from the inside.

you are best making a lead patch and stick it into place using an external silicone or similar. sticks like s**t is a great product

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back