Help - Water Leak in the Kitchen!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently discovered a leak in my kitchen area.

Through out the day a water accumulates at the foot of the kitchen sink.

I've checked the plumbing and as far as I can see all joints seem to be tight and sealed.

I figured the problem may have been coming from the washing machine so I checked the plumbing and all is fine.

All walls are dry so it’s not as if the water is seeping from faulty plumbing on the level above.

I guess the next and most sensible step would be to isolate the supply and check the meter dial.

Can anyone recommend other diagnostic procedures to determine the source of the leak?

Thank guys

Sponsored Links
Process of elimination really. As the water in pipes to the taps is pressurised constantly any leak the size of which you describe would normally be evident permanently. That leaves areas that are subject to water intermittently.

Fill the sink with water and splash it around a bit, maybe the overflow pipe has come adrift and only leaks when water is splashed down it perhaps when emptying the washing up bowl.

Has the seal failed at the back of the sink? Water can run down there, follow the curve of the sink and drip off somewhere away from the wall. Putting newspaper down may show you where any drips are falling.

Empty the sink and whilst water is draing away, check the waste connection to the sink itself, and the waste pipes.

If the sink has more than one bowl, repeat the process for that too.

Is there a pipe from a washing machine dishwasher? Check these when the machines are emptying.

Finally do you have a dog?.. ahem... I'll leave that one to your imagination

If you cant find as above..Wrap paper towel round each pipe, the leak will run down to the towel.
Once you have found the pipe check the joints or wrap paper towel round the joints.
It could be leaking from sink overflow or where the sink meets the worktop.

Thanks for your posts guys.

I figured a similar approach.

I’ll go away and try these and update when done.

Don’t hesitate if anyone else has something to add.

Regards

Sponsored Links
When we lived in a rented house, one day the neighbours knocked on the door and asked if we had anything leaking in our kitchen.

We both had a nose around, and discovered that when the kitchen had been fitted, the waste from the washing machine had been routed (correctly enough) behind the backing boards of the cupboards ... BUT ... the connectors had never been stuck together (they weren't compression ones).

So over time, the pipes eventually worked a bit loose, and then started discharging water down the wall where my neighbour eventually noticed it!

Talcum powder that you can squeeze the bottle to puff a fine cloud out. Start at the area where the water puddles and work outwards following the trail where it soaks up the water. Or do the whole area and wait to see where the trail takes you. You can even put it up the walls on the pipes, etc. Worked for me once.

Check washing machine hose during midnight as main water pressure goes high between 12am and 6.00pm.

Dan.

Check washing machine hose during midnight as main water pressure goes high between 12am and 6.00pm.

Dan.

Since when did water pressure change at a specific time of the day? You got any proof of that happening?

I'm surprised you didn't know

there is hardly anyone using it, so it moves towards Static pressure in the pipes.

alsp tanks and towers are refilled when usage is low.

Dan.

Since when did water pressure change at a specific time of the day? You got any proof of that happening?

It can happen when not many people use water during midnight so pressure can go a little high.
I noticed puddle of water in cupboard but can't find leak. I found my washing machine cold water hose connector started leaking but not during daylight.

I've checked water pressure and at midnight is 7.8 bar and about 11.30am drop to 6.2 bar.

Dan.

might be weeping round a tap, or running through the cutouts in the worktop from a tap or at the back of the sink, or it might be coming from a wastepipe or trap. I have a stopcock where the gland nut needs tightening (might need some ptfe tape round the spindle)

have you tied kitchen roll round every pipe you can see yet?

Also wipe clean the bottom of the cupboard and lay a sheet of paper there to identify drips.

Firstly, a happy new year to each and all.

Just to update everyone, the problem has been identified and fixed.

It turned out to be the washing machine hose after all. It hadn’t been secure tightly enough and on start up or when the machine was taking water had been leaking.

I’d previously checked the hose had mated properly with the cold water supply and all seemed fine however on closer inspection with a torch, I noticed a drip.

Another half turn cured the problem and all is fine and well.

I had suspected the sealant around the kitchen top was the suspect after doing a splash test and stripped and applied new one, only for the problem to re-occur.

Anyway, it’s fixed now.

Thank you kindly to all who offered invaluable help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back